Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I found the Gifts!

I found the Gifts!

I'm so happy. serendipity gift giving, my favorite!

So, for my mother, she definitely got the slippers, but because the other gifts are AWESOMELY priced, it comes out in the wash.

We found the coolest, hand knit fingerless gloves in this beautiful "lothlorian" yarn. It's a blend of merino wool and possum fur. DH has a sweater made out of it that yarn and it is so warm and cosy. I have a light poncho made out of it, and it's the best -- so warm! When DS is old enough, we plan on sweltering him in it!

Anyway, we bought a pair for FIL -- because he does wood turning in the garage (unheated) in winter, and can't wear gloves. $15!

Then we bough them for my father (with fingers): $18! And then for MIL: $18!

SIL wants trader joes gift card, so that was easy, and my sister wanted iTunes -- so i got one for her and her husband, as well as the book for the baby. So, we are ALL done.

Between that and the arthritis rub and the DVD of our NZ adventures (pictures, video, music in an entertaining 30 minute format (divided into 5 min chunks so you can play all or choose one to play it), and we are done.

I was done with my christmas shopping by june. Because I do nothing except 2 gifts for my little nieces. I will bring some homemade food where I go and that's it. Nothing else for no one else. Easy peasy. I think the others llike it just fine too.

Once you get on this wagon you won't want to get off.

Zoebird....are you kidding (I hope) about the possum fur?
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

no, why would i?

possum is a horrid pest here in NZ, and trapping them is an important environmental issue. here, people use the possum fur in a lot of ways, and -- like angora rabbit -- it makes the wool fiber softer and even warmer than wool alone. It really makes a wonderful garment.

oh, and to not start another thread, I'm so psyched that we have the holiday reservations all sewn up as well -- so we should have a nice, simple holiday lined up for us, going through some nice parts of the north island.

http://nordicyarnimports.com/zealana.htm

http://nordicyarnimports.com/possum.htm

Wow, what incredible yarns! Thanks... Btw, when I asked The Google about lothlorian yarn, your post, Zoebird, came up as the fourth choice.

how funny. LOL

we really love the stuff. It's so soft and SO ridiculously warm. It's, like, insanely warm. I think muskox is warmer (and finer), but still. And besides, they don't have muskox here. They need colder environs, like alaska.

I have friends who are in Australia for a year, and she's a knitter. I am sending her on the hunt for this yarn there. You've made a yarn fanatic very happy. not that I need any more!

hey, fiber folk are fiber folk. I don't knit, but i love good fiber!

Quote Originally Posted by Zoebird View Post
    no, why would i?

possum is a horrid pest here in NZ, and trapping them is an important environmental issue. here, people use the possum fur in a lot of ways, and -- like angora rabbit -- it makes the wool fiber softer and even warmer than wool alone. It really makes a wonderful garment.
    Sorry...no offense. Just ewww. They're horrid pests here too, and nasty buggers. If you'd ever seen one kill a chicken, you'd never want to wear its fur, I don't think.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Thread Information