Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grieving over teens who have retreated into their own world

Grieving over teens who have retreated into their own world

I would have expected several threads by now in this particular forum, always so active on the old boards. I have to admit it: the "How close are you to your family" (or some such wording) thread is depressing to me; the people who have big, wonderful, close, fun-loving families seem like miracle people who are living the life I always imagined I would (but I'm not); and the people with the disfunctional families don't seem to mind much--for the most part, that is. Some do mind, of course; some do grieve over what might have been. I'm one of those.

My question is this: How many of you are out there just sort of paralyzed by your teens' disinterest: your formerly cute, fun, sweet little children's total lack of interest in your family now? I have one teen who has entirely retreated into teendom, and one who is still pretty sociable--when he's around, which is rarely. I love my three sons; but I miss my oldest so much! It makes me cry, I miss him so much--and he's sitting in his room right now. I can't force him to talk to me; I can't force him to WANT to tell me what he and his friends actually did last night. I don't want to nag. He makes sure he does nothing objectionable; his grades are high as always, and he is very helpful around the house--but this stone-faced expression on his face! I can't bear it!

DH tells me we'll just wait, and one day he'll be back. This is what happened with DSD. She was pretty distant all through high school; then she was her sweet self again in her 20's, and is now 30. But my oldest is 17!

What do YOU do? How do you handle uncommunicative teens?

Yppej
    I've found that the phrase "just show up" works. Be there and eventually when he is ready he will talk to you. I have gotten the silent treatment for literally weeks on end at times, but when a big decision regarding education or whatever comes up he would turn to me.

These situations are so hard, because it feels like the way it is now is the way it is going to be forever...but the truth is that things do change, and ESPECIALLY when teenagers are involved. In two or three years, I suspect it will be very different based on the strong foundation you describe from his younger years. Teenagers are supposed to be going through the process of separating from their parents (trust me, unless you want him in your basement forever, this is important) and this is how he is doing it--and compared to a lot of the self-destructive behaviors other teens choose, it sounds like he has picked a relatively healthy way of going about it, although hard on Mom. When he was tiny and doing annoying toddler things, I'm sure you were able to see it as a stage of his development, so maybe looking at it that way now, instead of a reflection of his love for you, will help. He just doesn't have the perspective to see what you do...that this is the last few years to be at home with his family, and he is missing out on time that he will never get back. So this is also good practice for the patience you will have to have as the parents of adult children watching them make decisions that you disagree with . And yes, definitely make sure that you are available and that you don't let this situation create more barriers...so when if he does need or want to talk, he feels he can.

Good luck with it all...

NancyAnne
    Teens are like cats... You have to wait until they come to you.

Thanks all, and Amelia Jane, thank you so much for your thoughtful reply. Yes, this is the way he is detaching from us; it's just that it hurts. I've heard it said that the closer you are to your small child, up until 12 or so, the more distant said child will become while trying to detach. I think this is a huge generalization; but it has been true for ds1. I think it is more a question of his personality than of how close we were, as ds2 was always easy-going, and ds1 was always intense and prone to fits of nerves.

He does show up when we tell him to. He's just not very friendly. And, like a cat, he does come to us when he need us to help him with college applications, getting out of a scrape, and so forth. I hope he is OK in life. I want him to be happy.

He will be fine. Really. And I say this as a mother of three boys, 23, 20, and 17. There comes a point when your work is done. And a lot of the hands-on parenting is done by 17. It's a huge act of faith but emotionally releasing yourself from feeling responsible for their happiness will help move their individuation along.

I needed a huge amount of space when I was a teen. Unfortunately, my mother's well intentioned but overwhelming mothering made me want to withdraw. The times I was coaxed forward was when she was not being my mother - when she was talking about work or one of her interests or really anything other than me.

It's hard, isn't it.
    Last edited by Anne Lee; 1-2-11 at 7:37pm.
    Formerly known as Blithe Morning II

May I suggest that he is detaching because you have not started doing so? I gave my kids financial management control of their expenses; they made their own hair, eye, health and dental appointments based on the transportation that was available to them.

What have you given him control over that you used to do for him? Detaching goes both ways, I have found. The hard part is finding the right amount at the right stage for each person.

If your intents are good, you will find the right path.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I put my parents through an awful lot as a teenager, and I know there were times when my mom probably said/felt exactly what you report above. But once I had worked my way through all that teenage angst and separation stuff, my mom and I were able to develop a really great adult relationship. I agree with the comment that the foundations you laid with your kids when they were young will likely make for a strong relationship with them as adults. Sorry you are going through such a rough time now, but don't despair -- I think you have a lot to look forward to in your relationships with your kids.

lhamo

What you're going through is normal; the same thing happened with our boys. The good news is the best is yet to come--you'll love having adult children--they're the best!

Ke3, I stumbled upon a fun shared activity that my DSS and I could do side-by-side, and that is baking. He's especially fond of scones, so now I can always tempt him to help me make scones when he's visiting (he moved out last month).

Once we start working, I just let the convo flow. Or not - depending upon his interest in it. Would your guy emerge to help you make a big ol' batch of chocolate chip cookies?

Thread Information