Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: earache coming on

earache coming on

I have an earache coming on...slight pain, squishy feel in the morning, stuffy head as a whole...but I don't have a netti pot, any home remedies effective for yall?
    I am still trying hard not to go to doc or get antibiotics unless really necessary.

Thanks much!!!

Can you take a combo of Mucinex and Sudafed? Be sure to drink lots of water.
    You can make a mixture of 1 cup water, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp baking soda and just breath some into your nose (not your lungs). Do this several times and
    then gently blow your nose.
    A heating pad to your ear will give you some comfort.
    Good luck. Earaches are a real pain!

I do not--repeat--do not recommend this. I've had exactly one earache in my life, and it was excruciating. I was young and living with my parents and for some unknown reason, I grabbed my mother's bottle of DMSO (commonly used as an arthritis rub) and poured it in my ear. Some fizzing and bubbling later, sweet relief. I'm happy I didn't dissolve my brain. And I have to admit, I might do it again, if the occasion arose.

Thanks for suggestions! Its some better today..

Mrs-M
    Catwoman. So happy to hear it's better. (Don't leave it too long though, if it's still bothering you in a day or two, seek medical attention). P.S. By chance, do you insert anything into your ear canals on a regular basis?

Sounds like it might be a bit wet/damp inside there? Generic Benadryl at night should help that.

BUT! If it continues, don't linger to get to the doc. DH put off going to the doc, tried peroxide, all kinds of stuff. It ended up being Swimmer's Ear and he was in a lot of pain for sometime afterwards. He was put on antibotic ear drops and oral antibiotics.

(He wears hearing aids and had been outside a lot working in the heat. Swimmer's Ear is a bacterial infection.)
    Marianne
    My lame blog: http://2atthefarm.blogspot.com/
    Eco Friendly Tightwaddery and the Fine Art of Substitution

When I was going through perimenopause, I had all sorts of weird things happen to me. One day, everything started sounded very tin-y to me. Then the pain started. It was horrible. I started antibiotics about a day later. If the pain gets really bad catwoman, I wouldn't hesitate starting antibiotics. The ear has so many fragile little parts and you don't want them to get injured.
    Oh......and make sure its not from having too much ear wax. Some people just make alot of wax and that can irritate the eardrum.

I am dealing with double ear infections right now. DON"T WAIT if it continues to bother you!! The pain gets outright nasty.
    Mrs. Hermit

My husband uses hydrogen peroxide in the ear to clean it. It bubbles and fizzes and I guess feels weird, but works. I sure hope you don't have to fly this holiday!

Just be careful pouring stuff in your ears when you have pain. The eardrum might be ruptured.

Hmmm.....I never thought of using hydrogen peroxide on my son's ears when he was little. He made soooooo
    much wax, it was always a problem. Wish I'd thought of that back then! But it can be sort of sting-y on the skin.
    Definitely cheaper than all the OTC stuff to clean the ear.

Thread Information