Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Is Income Inequality Really a Problem?

The Ava factor is hilarious, the funniest thing I've read in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    Nah, I think it was real. Even with a good job,very few can actually afford say a 1/2 million dollar house (and the average housing price in many parts of southern CA was up to around 700k at one point). And yet someone was buying. All rich people or was maybe someone buying beyond their means? You need at least a 6 figure combined income to realistically afford here even now really, not that many have it ...
    The huge majority of homes being foreclosed are under $300k. The one in my neighborhood was 200k. I can imagine there are half mil homes in this mess too.

Quote Originally Posted by Iris lily View Post
    And I hope that day never comes. I vote and donate to campaigns accordingly.
    Now I really wish we were neighbors. It would be wonderful to garden with you & debate politics and economics. It's clear to me that you're a person who considers her stances, and I would like to hear more about your opinions. I'll make the coffee!

Despite overwhelming "statistics" to the contrary I'm forced to conclude that inequality itself really doesn't make much difference. Poverty, however, does. We need to raise the floor rather than being so obsessed with how high the ceiling goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    Despite overwhelming "statistics" to the contrary I'm forced to conclude that inequality itself really doesn't make much difference. Poverty, however, does. We need to raise the floor rather than being so obsessed with how high the ceiling goes.
    That makes a lot of sense to me. However, I doubt you'd be able to get the diehard class warriors to agree. I've heard it said that the 1% fetish is very attractive from a sustainability standpoint. No matter how many economic enemies get disgusted and leave the country, there will always be a top 1% to rail against.

Romney shot himself in the foot with his $10,000 bet on national TV. Many people do not make that much money in a year and it showed real income inequity on national TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    I think the issue gets muddled by calling it income inequality - I think the main concern (at least my main concern) is the floor is being lowered in the US and Europe. Which I think is moving us to 3rd world standards - a small very wealthy class, a small middle class and a huge sea of poverty.

If that's what everyone wants, fine. It works that way in a lot of countries. But things are going to look very different here - you can't drive a consumer based economy with a tiny pool of consumers. Or support a 1st world infrastructure on it.

Thread Information