Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting Far, Far Away From It All

I just googled 'monastic retreats' and there are quite a few.

Sometimes I just take off and stay in a motel for a fews days and spend my time taking photos for paintings, shopping unique stores, or whatever I feel like including staying in all day and reading. The best days I had the last time I left town were the day I drove through the Alleghenies to Warren, PA, (in the fall - the color was better than New England!) and the day it rained continuously when I stayed in and read, going out only for meals. (Warren is definitely not a tourist town, but it was a really interesting place.)

You'd think a person could do this at home, but all it takes is a stroll through the house to remind me that a gazillion things need to be done from cleaning to fixing to redecorating. And then there's the mail, which I find nearly as obnoxious as the phone.

i read that article this morning, too -- great stuff.

i went on a 3 week long trip by myself in the summer of 2010. 10 days of that were spent at a meditation retreat (silent ... 10 hours a day of meditation), then i spent a few days in boulder, took the train to salt lake city, spent a few days there, and took the train to san francisco.

it was really amazing, wonderful, and grounding. spending so much time on my own and in nature was just great.

can't wait to do it again!
    Wear the Shift: Dresses for everyone!

Gosh, that sounds WONDERFUL! Not that I dislike people, but I've been on several ten day silent retreats and loved them. The one they describe is even more intense, as it removes all contact with people, even teachers.

Actually, I like having the whole article posted - don't have to mess around with links and stuff.

I am wondering how I would do on such a retreat. I need time alone on a regular basis, but I think I would start to panic if cut off from everyone I love - I need hugs!
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” -- Gandalf

Being the dreamer that I am, it sounds very wonderful. Oh but how would everyone get along with out me?

Though I'm in daily contact with loved ones, I can go days without seeing another soul, so I'm pretty sure I'd do all right. I'm comfortable with my own company, obviously.

I did a three week (19 day) solo backpack trip when I was young. That was too long for me. Good at the time, but overall too long. I like a few days of quiet and solitude, but it seems that if I don't have the commotion of friends and family around my mind will create its own commotion so I don't gain alot from getting away from everyone else. Getting away from email OTOH...

Oh wow, one in southern colorado is right in my backyard. The prices seem very reasonable as well. I have a job where i get all summers off (I usually earn extra money but someday i may not need to) so taking some time is more possible for me. And I have realy been looking at this, my issue is a mental condition that sometimes means I can only meditate for shorter periods, I would have to check with my DR.

I don't quite get the breaking down the constructs of you since I am not a Buddhist.

I like the idea of a prayer retreat where you go away to pray.
    Formerly known as Blithe Morning II

Thread Information