Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your longest vacation?

I've always been amazed at how un-generous many American companies are with regards to holiday leave, in comparison to Europe, for instance!

Quote Originally Posted by IshbelRobertson View Post
    I've always been amazed at how un-generous many American companies are with regards to holiday leave, in comparison to Europe, for instance!
    I guess it depends upon how you look at it. Using the UK as an example, the government mandates a minimum of 20 days vacation. If a company then gives their employees 6 weeks of vacation, they're actually only being generous with two of those weeks.
    Here, in the US, the government doesn't yet dictate how much free time a company must provide it's employees. Mine gives me 6 weeks of vacation, which would be 3 times more generous than the UK company allowing that same amount of time.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

That's hardly the point..... 6 weeks is six weeks, and the company PAYS for all six weeks. Many employers offer more than four weeks - and also do not include the Bank Holidays in the total. Many employers close down totally between Christmas and New Year and many people are gifted the additional 3 or more days between the two.

Many American companies seem to give only 2 weeks or so - judging by what I read online.

That's hardly the point..... 6 weeks is six weeks, and the company PAYS for all six weeks. Many employers offer more than four weeks - and also do not include the Bank Holidays in the total. Many employers close down totally between Christmas and New Year and many people are gifted the additional 3 or more days between the two.

Many American companies seem to give only 2 weeks or so - judging by what I read online.
    Unfortunately, two weeks is the average. I know people who get one week or NO vacation time at all from their employers. There is no law regulating vacation time. I think a number of holidays have to be given by law. Usually people who agree with the system are well set themselves, as Alan in this case. But you should talk to the people who have to slave away at their jobs without any vacation time and no health benefits! To me this is exploitation of the workforce, and I consider it criminal.

That's hardly the point..... 6 weeks is six weeks, and the company PAYS for all six weeks.
    Perhaps to some, being forced to provide 4 weeks is just as generous as not being forced, but doing so anyway. I don't see how, but perhaps.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
    Unfortunately, two weeks is the average.
    That does seem the average for most regular full time jobs. But many people start off at just one week/year and have to work up to that 2 or 3 week level over time - often a long time. Not enough time off IMHO. I know having 30 days leave was great while I ws in the service but that was literally 30 days - meaning you had to count your weekend days as well as holidays as part of your leave time since most didn't normally get those days off. So unlike a M-F 9 to 5 person, who's one week vacation started Fri at 5 pm and lasted until over 9 days later at Mon at 9 pm, people in the service had to count those same 9 days off work as 9 days of leave/vacation time rather than 5 days. But still, 30 days off is 30 days off even if you have to count the weekends and holidays as part of the total amount.

Current company is 2 weeks and you earn one additional day for each additional year you are with the company. So after 5 years with the company you could work your way up to 3 weeks.
    Trees don't grow on money

Back when I was working I got 4 weeks plus 10 holidays paid. I generally didn't take the 4 weeks off in a row as I didn't want to. And I could accumulate time off so if I didn't use all of them one year, they were still there. And if I wanted to take off December and January, I guess I could.

Everyone got 2 weeks and the 10 holidays the first year. After 5 you got 3 weeks, after 10 you got 4 weeks. Not a union or government job. I was a engineer working for a construction co.

And since I worked in the USA I guess my take home pay was higher, so I quit working at 50 and I have now been on vacation for 4 years. I'll call myself retired when I can start taking SS. If its still there for me.

Call me crazy, but I still think addressing the root cause of our need (perceived or actual) for time off would be more productive than simply escaping. Don't get me wrong, I completely understand wanting to be with family, travel, paternity leave, etc. I just seem to hear a lot of people, in here and elsewhere, saying they need a break to get away from the stress. Guess I'm one of the lucky ones. Spending time with my family can be a lot more stressful than my work!

I guess I am an outlier...I've never taken more that a week of vacation at one time. I've worked for a corporation and now a Universtiy in the US in a office position.

There are people who take more time at once, so its not discouraged. I just don't think I would want to be away for that long from my doggies or the alternative, schlepping them around with me.

One of the reasons I work where I do it the vacation time. I could make more money elsewhere. We get 4 weeks, then a week in the Spring (Spring break, woo! keeps me young ) and almost two weeks at Christmas. I don't feel like I am escaping, but I love to have breaks throughout the year to travel or to stay home and just relax and do my own thing.

Thread Information