Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Opting out...

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by goldensmom View Post
    A similar experience happened to me and as a result I do not eat a potluck dish unless I know who made it (and have been to their house) and I do not ever buy anything at a bake sale. That happened 25 years ago and even now when I see a bake sale I picture that house in my mind.

Here's a question. Did you warn other co-workers who had not been to her house? I did.
    yes, we did so very discretely and what we did was ask everyone not to bake or bring in goodies on the premise of weight loss. She still occasionally bought in stuff but no one ate it so she eventually stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    yes, we did so very discretely and what we did was ask everyone not to bake or bring in goodies on the premise of weight loss. She still occasionally bought in stuff but no one ate it so she eventually stopped.
    You just have to wonder if she ever figured it out. That is one thing that always grossed me out on the hoarder shows was how so many of the women would talk about what a great cook/baker they were and how they liked to bake for others. Visions of cat dander/cat hair muffins were all I could 'see'.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

We're opting out of decorating -- we have for years. We blame it on the fact that we have cats and dogs and that everything would be in a shambles as a result.

I opted out of the cookie exchange that my friends hosted last weekend.

I will likely opt out of the two parties I've been invited to.

We're opting out of the over-the-top gift giving. I will exchange small gifts with my mom and brothers, but that is it. Ultimately I'll buy something for my partner so that we can have a gift opening "party" of our own after Christmas. But it will be something practical and inexpensive.

I don't go to the annual work holiday party (in fact any party that is associated with work I don't attend). I also don't do Secret Santa type gifting.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne Lee View Post
    I'm opting out of the women's Christmas brunch cookie tray exchange. I'll go to the brunch which I will enjoy but don't really want a plate of random cookies around afterwards.

Let's see if I can do this under the radar. I don't want to offend anyone because they are all lovely people. It's just I have very different views on this type of thing.

What are you opting out of?
    We do a white elephant at my work that I don't really enjoy. And it's a potluck. So, I dutifully made the food and brought it, then a very nice, unused, unopened white elephant gift. I stayed for the food, put my gift in the pile and then returned to my desk. I just didn't want to participate in that. I didn't want to be rude either. And I got rid of an unwanted item.

I sorta was successful in opting out of the cookie exchange. A few people brought extra trays so I agreed to take one just so no one's feelings would be hurt. But I passed it off to someone else.

Another woman also boycotted the cookie exchange. I have nothing against cookie exchanges but I do wish they would be advertised as optional.

Other than Christmas day itself, the only other event I have is a potluck lunch at work. Since I like my coworkers this is not a hardship.
    Formerly known as Blithe Morning II

yesterday we had 3 parties and one today. That is four for the weekend. I am opting out of a major manic event next weekend, told DH he is free to attend, but not me. Too much mess and noise and craziness.

But my gifting life is easy: so far the only gift I've done is to put a $20 bill toward the neighborhood gift for our beat cop.

Four parties in a weekend? Oh my. That's too much. If I were in charge, I would have an un-holiday party in March. Everyone get together for coffee and bagels in the morning or wine and nibbles in the late afternoon.
    Formerly known as Blithe Morning II

Quote Originally Posted by Anne Lee View Post
    Four parties in a weekend? Oh my. That's too much. If I were in charge, I would have an un-holiday party in March. Everyone get together for coffee and bagels in the morning or wine and nibbles in the late afternoon.
    Well, only 1 of the 4 was entirely obligatory. And as it turns out, I DID skip #4 although DH went. He's a quiet little introvert/social man. He does not like to be left out of gatherings, it's funny and cute.

Gift exchanges. My family draws names for the gift that will be purchased and dh and I do no exchange gifts as we feel it takes away from our Christmas celebration and becomes a distraction.

I don't mind cookie exchanges so much. I usually can distribute them again in smaller decorative bags to the mail man, paper boy etc...

Thread Information