Thread: Low Flow Showerhead

Low Flow Showerhead

I read the Mr Money Mustache Blog fairly regularly, and recently he had a post about showerheads. My showerhead is from around 2000 and is one of the 2.5 GPM models, which I always thought was "low flow" Apparently there are newer low flow...1.5 GPMs and there is little noticeable difference.

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/...rom-me-to-you/

He breaks down the cost effectiveness of switching in the blog so I won't go into it. But, basically for two folks taking fairly short showers several times a week the change to the super low flow showerhead saves $37.18 per year.

This sounds like a no brainer to me since a highly rated shower head is only $10 on Amazon.com Save money and use less resources in water and electricity. I'm ready to pull the trigger but wanted to know what do you guys think???

I had such low water pressure that the one time I tried a 'low flow' it was barely a dribble. Ended up having to find one that would create pressure. It's improved somewhat since we had a new larger waterpump installed in the community well. Maybe I should look into trying one again - I do have two teenage boys who I'm having a difficult time convincing that showers should not take more than 5 minutes.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

This is the one I think I'm going to pull the trigger on...
    http://www.amazon.com/Alsons-655CBX-.../dp/B00112X51W

(BTW, I read that MMM post too --- I've been futzing around ordering the showerhead, so it was great to see a nice analysis as a bit of prodding.)
    SPICE: Simplicity, Peace, Integrity, Community, Equality.

We've had a 1.5gpm showerhead for about 2 years. We bought ours at the local enormous hardware store for about $30 on sale (I suspect prices have dropped on the low-flow since then - at the time it was one of the only choices). It's a Waterpik that can be used as a showerhead or removed from the holder and used as a spray, which is really handy when you have kids (or dogs, or to clean the bathtub). It initially took a little adjusting to in the winter, as there is definitely less hot water coming from it every minute, but now we don't notice it.

Thanks for the input...I ordered it so I will report back how I like using it. I don't expect to notice much in the water or electricity bill since the savings will be spread out over the year, but every little bit helps, right? DH and I use probably double the water MMM and his wife do as we shower daily, about 5-8 minutes each, so maybe we actually will notice something!

ah jenni love your cat; we have had the old style low flow; its great; you can turn it off; you have alot of control; really simple; but we bought this back in the days when things were simple
    "I 'll walk where my own nature would be leading. It vexes me to choose another guide" Emily Bronte

@FloatOn, I heard that there are timers that shut it off at 5 min.

@Rosemary - we are going to have a sprayer in the new house! Yippee!
    Kelli

My gluten free blog: Twin Cities Gluten Free
    Our house remodel blog: Our Fair Abode

Thanks Babr! She is a super fat and loves to snuggle.

Well, new shower head arrived last night. It was easy to put on...we just unscrewed the old one and replaced. I took a shower last night and I could tell a slight difference, especially when I am washing my hair. I have long, thick hair and there was not as much water getting in the nooks and crannies. But, overall not much of a difference. DH said he could notice a little difference too but not enough to matter. I guess we have shower head success!

Quote Originally Posted by fidgiegirl View Post
    @FloatOn, I heard that there are timers that shut it off at 5 min.
    MUST look into this!
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Thread Information