Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The Joy of Buying Stuff

I do think the love of novelty plays into it. Also the joy of discovery, and possibly a thwarted creative or artistic drive.

I've also thought that some day our landfills will supply valuable resources.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    and possibly a thwarted creative or artistic drive.
    Oh, I can definitely see certain kinds of spending "hitching a ride" on an artistic drive. Because the whole creative thing (well the whole creative thing as I experience it) is perfectionist. It is: I need to modify the painting, the musical composition, the poem, the whatever, one more time because it's not yet perfect. Trying to match the creation to the inner envisioned perfection is the whole point.

NOW .... get people to apply this artistic drive to say the arrangement of their living room and mahahah. Don't ask me how I know. It's possessed me at times . There's really is no cure, you eventually need to buy a new chair or whatever silly thing it is, just to get the demon out of your head (only after you have done so do you have any hope of redirecting it). The artistic drive is a bit obsessive compulsive. And harnessed for consumption ....

Ah, speaking of clothes in the closet and never worn. I retired two years ago. After going through my closed I see I have enough clothes for about ten years. Stopping work, slowing down and taking stock of things is what has got me off into a better path of simple living. More time for friends , family and volunteering.

I lived in Guatemala in 1985-6, and I love Latino/a culture, so Mexico is a great destination for me. I haven't been in a long time, and would love to go... also want to see Costa Rica & Belize. Some day.

That's an interesting premise eggs and shrubs. In a way it makes sense to me cos while one may feel orgasmic while purchasing some much wanted item, and then have buyers remorse later in the same way one can have sex/orgasm remorse such as 'oy vey I wish I hadn't slept with him'....within minutes of having done the deed. So actually it's a pretty good sales comparison..... LOL

Doesn't crafting, sewing, being creative, also serve this purpose?

Quote Originally Posted by Flour Sack Mama View Post
    Doesn't crafting, sewing, being creative, also serve this purpose?
    I think so, but you have to enjoy the process as much--or nearly so--as the product. I generally like the designing part and the admiring the end result part a lot more than the crafting part. Shopping skips the tedium.

Thread Information