Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Joy of Buying Stuff

The Joy of Buying Stuff

A few years ago a British artist, whose name escapes me, produced an exhibition of photographs of about a hundred different people's faces at the moment they achieved orgasm. Very post-modern.

Fast forward a few years and the same effect seems to have been achieved on this young man by the purchase of an i phone.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...e-mobile-phone

Is shopping the new sex?

One of the things I think that irritate me most is that "orgasmic delight" in ads, when the person achieves the goal of possession of the desired object. It's like the ads for vacations where the families are acting like they are all on speed, running into the ocean, jumping from activity to activity, no kids whining, "but I don't WANT to do that", etc..........

I really think that shopping DOES replace sex for a lot of people........not nearly so satisfying, though ;-)

It's the business of advertising to elicit a strong, positive emotional response to its product. True to life vacation footage would doom the travel industry, pretty much.

I don't shop very often, but when I do and find something I love - and actually buy it- I really feel good. I can understand someone being drawn in by advertising that aspect of shopping, and even becoming addicted to that pleasurable feeling.

Fortunately I have restraint, and prefer having my free time to 'things'.

But if I had lots and lots of money........

I'm repeating myself, but every time someone talks about buying experiences instead of "stuff," I revisit how I'm still regretting a trip to Mexico city I took in 1981 and every penny I spent on it. On the other hand, I have plenty of "stuff" that still brings me pleasure. (insert "whatever" smiley here)

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I'm repeating myself, but every time someone talks about buying experiences instead of "stuff," I revisit how I'm still regretting a trip to Mexico city I took in 1981 and every penny I spent on it. On the other hand, I have plenty of "stuff" that still brings me pleasure. (insert "whatever" smiley here)
    Jane, how sad that your trip was not what you wanted... and that here, 30 years later, you're still regretting it. It must have been some awful time!

Quote Originally Posted by redfox View Post
    Jane, how sad that your trip was not what you wanted... and that here, 30 years later, you're still regretting it. It must have been some awful time!
    No kidding. Short of the truly catastrophic (loss of life, kidnapping, time spent in a Mexican prison, violent crime) I can't think of anything about a vacation that could be worth regretting 30 years later. It must have been bad.

(Jane, I'd suggest writing (longhand on paper) everything you can remember about that trip, sealing it in an envelope, and then burning it in order to help flush it from your mind.)

As to experiences vs stuff, that's a personal decision. I like 'em both. Some possessions bring me great joy, as do some memories of experiences. For me a good mix of the two is important. Meaningful possessions are the gift that keeps giving, while memories can fade.

Actually, it wasn't a horrifying, traumatic thing. SO and I bickered the whole time, the Museo was closing when we got there, the zoo was full of badly neglected animals, the air was unbreathable, the pyramid was crawling with gimcrack hawkers that would literally follow you up the steps (Is that a used diaper? My God, it is...) I suppose this makes me sound like the typical Ugly American tourist, but I did come prepared with some knowledge of local history and the ability to speak Spanish. The kind and welcoming people we met and talked with didn't really make up for the rest (including the inevitable bout of turista and two interminable--no pun intended--days spend in airports...). The whole time I was there all I could think of was how much I spent for ten days in one of the lower circles of hell. The highlight of the trip for me was sitting in my hotel room, looking out at the world-class smog and reading the Spanish-language version of I Survived Hitler's Ovens. I suspect I'm not much of a traveler...

And really, I only think about it occasionally--even if always with regret. SO and I are still laughing about it, so I guess that's something.

I believe I read somewhere that a recent study found it was the purchase of the item that made you feel good, and then any joy derived from use or ownership of the item was extra. This would explain "retail therapy." As well as why some of us wind up with clothes in the closet we have never worn, with the tags still on. . . .

Thread Information