Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Christmas for atheists

We are atheists and are not big fans of xmas. There are some traditions that we like, but we avoid most of it. I too am perplexed about this supposed controversy about the "holiday tree" and not being able to say "Merry Christmas." I think Bill O'Reilly or someone made it all up! I have no issue with being wished a Merry Christmas. It's a pretty pagan holiday after all.

Holiday actually comes from Holy Day.

I just want you all to know I don't judge however you spend Christmas or don't. It's interesting to have this forum to see what others do or don't do. I just don't want a cookie cutter one size fits all holiday imposed on me. I hope you all get whatever you want best for Dec. 25th. Peace,joy and love...

Here's a great song that sets up how i really feel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCNvZqpa-7Q (Tim Minchin)

Zoebird loved this and sent it off to a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by peggy View Post
    Of course, there is the midnight sacrifice of the virgin goat........what? Y'all don't do that?
    I nearly ruined my laptop with coffee when I read that one! Thanks for the laugh!

:o) I have to say I think part of my love of Christmas is because I work from home (ie not retail) and am not at all exposed to 50's Christmas music (though I adore Lennon's "Happy Xmas") or the uber shoppers.

heydude
    Xmac! thanks for pointing that out! wow, how ironic.

it just doesn't make sense that an atheist would want to be wished a happy holiday anymore than merry christmas (or rather, care about EITHER one). if they are not in to christmas, what holiday exactly ARE they in to that they want to be wished a holiday?????

i think someone other than atheists started this drama!

to clarify. . .

in the middle ages, it was against the law to fight or battle on "holy days" -- and likewise, there were certain "holy days" where work was also not allowed.

thus, "holy day" became synonymous with "day off" from work or violence. And thus a holiday is really "happy days off" and doesn't have to refer to a specific "holy day" at all.

Quote Originally Posted by heydude View Post
    Xmac! thanks for pointing that out! wow, how ironic.

it just doesn't make sense that an atheist would want to be wished a happy holiday anymore than merry christmas (or rather, care about EITHER one). if they are not in to christmas, what holiday exactly ARE they in to that they want to be wished a holiday?????

i think someone other than atheists started this drama!
    aethiests or not, it's those who must constantly chastise us to expand our horizons and be all inclusive or diverse or whatever who beat this drum. Good god, just say your won greeting from whichever holiday you celebrate , this aethiest doesn't care.

Thread Information