Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: where to donate larger furniture

where to donate larger furniture

I'm doing a little decluttering this winter and have a few larger furniture items I need to get rid of. Nice shape but would just as soon donate to a worthy cause as advertise for sale or as a free-be. My local Goodwill and other favorite charity for household items won't take larger furniture. Are there charitable groups that might take stuff like this?

You're going to have to call around to see which organization in your area will come to your home - it really varies. Where I used to live in California, only St Vincent de Paul would come. Where I now live in Washington, it's Habitat for Humanity. Let your fingers do the walking.

I have had the best luck simply placing a free ad on Craigslist for these types of items. To be truthful, we've had BETTER luck even placing a nominal fee on the items. It feels like people are frequently jerks about the free listings, not showing when they say they will, not getting back to you, etc. But when people perceive that they will miss out on a good deal, they show up. Sounds funny, I know, but we've had muuuuuuuch better luck with people when there is money involved. Huh. We like this approach with large items rather than a donation scenario because it saves us having to transport the item. The onus is on the buyer to retrieve it.

Here the Epilepsy Foundation will pick up but you have to make an appointment.
    Kelli

My gluten free blog: Twin Cities Gluten Free
    Our house remodel blog: Our Fair Abode

In my area, Salvation Army will pick up as will the St. Vincent DePaul Society and a privately operated thrift store. This isn't a big metro area, either. Ask around, call around.

You can schedule a pick up by the Salvation Army or Goodwill via their website. You can either leave the stuff outside for the pick up (don't have to be home) or they'll carry it from inside your home. They leave you with a receipt for tax purposes where you can fill in the value for a tax deduction to charity.

I'd recommend calling an area shelter, as many have transitional housing programs that house families for up to a year.

Quote Originally Posted by redfox View Post
    I'd recommend calling an area shelter, as many have transitional housing programs that house families for up to a year.
    This is a great idea, if you can find a relevant shelter or program. When we left NYC, we donated all the furniture and household goods we couldn't sell (and it was a lot!) to a place called "Furnish a Future" that provided such things to families moving out of homelessness. I still feel good that we went that route -- at least the life energy we put into accumulating that stuff and the stuff itself may have helped other families get a fresh start.

lhamo
    "Seek out habits that help you overcome fear or inertia. Destroy those that do the opposite." Seth Godin

You can schedule a pick up by the Salvation Army ...
    Our local salvation army won't take larger furniture.

A charity would be better of course, but if you really just want to get rid of it and can't find one that will take it, call your local used furniture stores and offer it to them for free... if they'll pick it up. Someone at least would make a buck from it.

I got rid of alot of my mom's furniture through St. Vincent DePaul. They picked it all up. And its tax deductible.

Do you have any photos that you could send over to charities after you make a call? Some charitable groups may have a hard time giving these pieces of furniture away to families, since these families may have also very limited space in their own homes. If the group is not able to give these away, the group may also have a hard time storing these at their end. This will pose an even bigger problem for them and they may incur disposal costs. Do these pieces of furniture look very old-fashioned, like Amish furniture? I can only think of that kind. It would be great if you could upload these in a photo-hosting site, and post the link here. Who knows, someone might be interested as well to buy these.
    Last edited by shawntheweaver; 3-7-13 at 4:15am.

Thread Information