Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats a food, meal etc. that most people would find awful etc. that you just love

Whats a food, meal etc. that most people would find awful etc. that you just love

My mother or someone in the family came up with this type of pancake we called pennycookles; anyway they are thin pancakes that have the consistency of wall paper paste; but they taste so good to me; my husband passes on this as well as my other siblings but i keep the recipe going;

how about you?
    "I 'll walk where my own nature would be leading. It vexes me to choose another guide" Emily Bronte

We have an old family recipe for Cinnamon pie. It is "custardy and cinnamony and frothy" and apparently no one who has married into the family likes it.....at all.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

My mother used to do stuffed green peppers with hamburger meat. SHE thought they were fabulous...I always hated them, LOL!

I'm one of those whole beast guys: I like offal. I have one DD who will try anything and DS is pretty adventurous, but to the rest of my family offal is awful.

I married into the meals I can think of that are weird to many people (by marrying a Scotsman).

(Back me up on these, Ishbel)

First, of course, the famous haggis--it's actually very tasty. I don't eat it all the time, but definitely when Robbie Burns night comes around you just have to have haggis!

Second is a weekly staple for the rest of the family, and one of the things I dearly miss since cutting meat out of my diet: mince. Mince is basically ground beef that's boiled in water with lots of onions and salt and pepper. Then you add the "secret ingredient," Bisto, to make a great gravy and serve it over boiled potatoes and butter--yum!!!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Floaton, that cinnamon pie sounds interesting. I can visualize that.

DH's family has a cult-like obsession with endive. My MIL grew it in barrels in the deep, dark of their basement. When it was harvested there wasn't much of it, and they stood around waiting for their apportionment. It reminded me of rationing in the War.

It's just a leafy, bland green for godsake!

ha ha, there is no accounting...

I've always wondered exactly what "mince" is. I've gleaned from the many British novels I've read that it is what we'd call hamburg over here, but I did not know that it was boiled and with onions.

Aha, the mince! My mother used to make what she called "hamburger gravy" which was pretty much like catherine's description of mince, minus the Bisto. I remember eating it as a child but haven't tried to foist it off on other family members. Ever. So now I know where that came from.

Meatloaf. Meatloaf in all its forms kind of grosses me out (not sure why). However, I spent years in which I made a meatloaf out of ground turkey every single week for my then DH and children. They all loved it, and my DD makes turkey meatloaf. Just not when I visit her.

I love durian. There's a pho place in Portland that serves durian smoothies. I've been known to have two at one sitting.
    Last edited by JaneV2.0; 12-13-11 at 12:51pm.

Stuffed cabbage on sauerkraut, everyone hates it but I. Same with Lebkuchen (gingerbread): my favorite around Christmas, everyone else hates it.

Thread Information