Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: More Democrats Fear Big Government

More Democrats Fear Big Government

According to Gallup, 48% of Democrats fear that big government is the greatest threat to the nation, up from 32% in 2009.

If polls teach us anything, it’s that public opinion is always changing, but I think this demonstrates in some small way the American people’s astute understanding (regardless of the OWS movement), at a time of 8.6 percent unemployment, that jobs depend on expanding businesses, whereas increased government very often creates perverse incentives that undermine economic growth.

I think it will be interesting to see what electoral implications this may have in the upcoming presidential election.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

What does "big" government mean? Or "Increased government"? Big as in physically, economically, intrusively?

And what does "not big" mean?

Is it their fear of "big government" that has changed? Or what they believe the label means? Or both? Or something else?

I hate these little labels - they are so often used as in "I'm using this to mean what I want it mean in this particular situation" So while a 1000 people may all say "big government", there's a 1000 different meanings. And no one is talking about the same thing. Which makes a poll like this next to meaningless.

I fear that big government is the greatest threat to the nation as well, but it's likely we would not agree on many of the underlying issues supporting that statement.
    Last edited by creaker; 12-13-11 at 12:55pm.

I fear aspects of "big government" too. Like for instance congress just passed a law allowing for indefinite detention of U.S. citizens (very bipartisan, but with heavy Republican support). If that's not trashing the constitution what is? Our only possible protection against this is one waffling Obama (and I do hope he comes through) or else the supreme court. So let's see the president can kill anyone he wants without a trial including U.S. citizens, the government can detain anyone it wants indefinitely without a trail. Is THIS what you meant by big government? Then it sure as heck won't break down on partisan lines but I do support anyone who votes against someone of either party who voted for this legistlation!
    Trees don't grow on money

I suppose a strict definition of "big government" isn't really a requirement to identify a trend. It is certainly encouraging to see the increase in that sentiment among Democrats. It appears people would rather worry about all the other stuff once there is a chicken in every pot.

Just a note: it always irks me to see the November and December job figures. Yes, unemployment is down to 8.6%. Yes, we added 120,000 total jobs last month. By another account we actually added 480,000 seasonal jobs which means a loss of 360,000 non-seasonal positions. The numbers and how they are reported get so convoluted that I'm not sure if anyone really knows what the net results are, but I do have the feeling that January and February could be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    I suppose a strict definition of "big government" isn't really a requirement to identify a trend. It is certainly encouraging to see the increase in that sentiment among Democrats. It appears people would rather worry about all the other stuff once there is a chicken in every pot.

Just a note: it always irks me to see the November and December job figures. Yes, unemployment is down to 8.6%. Yes, we added 120,000 total jobs last month. By another account we actually added 480,000 seasonal jobs which means a loss of 360,000 non-seasonal positions. The numbers and how they are reported get so convoluted that I'm not sure if anyone really knows what the net results are, but I do have the feeling that January and February could be interesting.
    The devil is still in the details. Whacking defense by at least 80% and dismantling Homeland Security (including pushing TSA back to being owned and run and paid for by airports) would be a good start. At least to me.

Whack SS, Medicare, welfare, WIC, food stamps, public schools, public transportation, and a zillion other programs and we'd see a big drop in "big government".
    Last edited by creaker; 12-13-11 at 2:52pm.

The other interesting thing in the poll was Democrat's feelings on Big Business. The number of Dems reporting a fear of Big Business as a threat to the nation has gone done since 2009, from 52% to 44%. Actually it dropped in every demographic.

Sorta makes me wonder about the accuracy of the whole "we are the 99%" meme and the efficacy of party leaders constant refrain against business and business interests.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by creaker View Post
    The devil is still in the details. Whacking defense by at least 80% and dismantling Homeland Security (including pushing TSA back to being owned and run and paid for by airports) would be a good start. At least to me.

Whack SS, Medicare, welfare, WIC, food stamps, public schools, public transportation, and a zillion other programs and we'd see a big drop in "big government".
    Right there with ya creaker. I do think it might be best to start with a scalpel rather than a chain saw to give our economy a chance to reach equilibrium at each stage*, but I have a hard time thinking of a budget sector that shouldn't be cut.

*We need to keep in mind that if we cut something like defense spending by 80% it will throw how many...several MILLION people out of work? And destroy a few TRILLION dollars worth of equity (in companies catering to the defense industry)? We need a plan that also creates something for the people and the companies to do when the shift is made. Infrastructure development will forever be my personal soapbox to climb on. I'm no economist, but it seems like we'd be better off with a steady transition even if some money is "wasted" than we would be if that level of wealth is destroyed and that many people hit the unemployment system all at once.

Sometimes I think we need big government in order to regulate big business.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    Sometimes I think we need big government in order to regulate big business.
    Sadly, I think it's too late, and now we see business controlling government.

i think it might be important to note that most OWSers consider themselves independents (and many are libertarians), and that they would not be considered "liberals" or "democrats" to be discussed as per this particular poll.

it might also be noted that they still haven't created a specific "demand" -- but overall are protesting the connection between corporate and government corruption. I think that, if they were asked how they feel about "big government" (ambiguous meaning) and that were defined as this issue between corporate and government corruption, then they, too would "fear big government."

I'm just putting it out there, since nearly all of this is supposition.

And ANM, I hear you on that craziness.

Thread Information