Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Extreme Poverty Foods and Meals

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    A recipe will call for a tablespoon and then what do you do with the rest of the can you opened?
    I have a collection of tiny containers I got at a Japanese grocery in which I put one-tablespoon portions of tomato paste. Then into the freezer they go, ready for the next recipe that calls for a tablespoon of tomato paste. No wasting the remainder of the can and, often, I don't even have to measure the tomato paste for the next recipe.

Tomato sauce from paste is a good idea, too.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

You can also freeze small amounts in ice cube trays, then transfer them to a different container.

Wow, thanks, Steve and Jane! Great ideas!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    The tomato sauce from paste is interesting to me because I always waste paste. A recipe will call for a tablespoon and then what do you do with the rest of the can you opened? Now I know! (but isn't it a little bitter?)

DH and I found tomato paste in a tube at Job Lot and we are in love!! It solves the problem of opened and unused cans of tomato paste.

I make tomato juice from the "extra" paste....one can of paste gradually mixed with cold water to make 1 quart, with 1 tsp ea sugar & salt added makes passable tomato juice when well chilled. And if you are on a low sodium diet you can use lite salt, salt substitute (or none) instead. So if I only used 2 TB paste from that 6 oz can, I can make 3/4 of a quart of tomato juice for tomorrow! (Sugar in the tomato sauce, or juice, takes care of the bitterness. That's why commercial sauces have sugar in them...)

Thread Information