Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you let your child come home if they had bed bugs??

Would you let your child come home if they had bed bugs??

If you've read my other thread, you know my DD has bedbugs. They only seem to be in her room in a house that she and 2 other girls rent.

She's doing all she can to get rid of them, although she hasn't involved professionals yet (except for talking with them and getting info).

I'm concerned because she comes home for Christmas next week. One friend of mine said if it were her, she wouldn't let her come home.

DD is going through an incredibly rough time in her life, and I would NEVER tell her not to come. I realize I'm putting our house at risk, but I just couldn't tell her not to come home. We'll do all that we can, from the moment she walks in the door, to protect things, but I just could never tell her not to come home.
    What do you think? Am I being irrational?
    To me, DD is more important! I guess I'm willing to take the risk.

Tell her to bring only a small amount of clothing, in a plastic bag that you can dispose of. As she walks in the door, offer her a robe, send her to the bathroom to take a shower and wash her hair, then put all the clothes she had on, and brought with her, through the washer and dryer. The heat of the dryer will kill anything hiding in the seams of clothing, etc., but honestly, this is really overkill.

The bedbugs are probably centered in and around her bed and bedding. But to be sure, I'd do the washing and drying of everything she has on.

Not the BEST way to be welcomed home for Christmas, but I'd NEVER under any circumstances not let one of my kids come home. Heck, I'd not even not welcome a friend under those circumstances. But I would, and I'm sure they would cooperate, try to keep them from bringing any little hitchhikers along with them.

Your daughter will probably feel good about this process, too, as it will give her a bit of a respite from feeling as though something is crawling on her......

Bedbugs are a fact of life in many areas of the country now, and are no respecter of income, status, cleanliness or any other "moral" or "status" issue. They've become resistant to pesticides, so are more difficult to control, but the ICK factor is far more huge than it should be.

Of course, your daughter is more important than the small risk of having her bring a few guests with her, and if you run everything on her through the washer and a dryer set on hot, all will be fine. The only problem you MIGHT have is that once she's home and feeling safe from the little beasties, you might have a hard time getting her to return to her own place, hahahaha

Wow. That's a tough one. I would let her come home but maybe take some precautions. Like maybe have her bring whatever she's bringing in sealed plastic bags and then maybe you could throw everything in the dryer when she unpacks. Heat is know to kill bed bugs. I'm sure she'll understand the precautions.

Quote Originally Posted by loosechickens View Post
    Tell her to bring only a small amount of clothing, in a plastic bag that you can dispose of. As she walks in the door, offer her a robe, send her to the bathroom to take a shower and wash her hair, then put all the clothes she had on, and brought with her, through the washer and dryer. The heat of the dryer will kill anything hiding in the seams of clothing, etc., but honestly, this is really overkill.
    I think this sounds like a good idea.

There is no way in h*ll I would put the risk of bedbugs before my DD's visit at Christmas. No way in h*ll.

Edited to add: No way in h*ll.

Edited again to add: It's not like I don't know what I'm talking about. My DD also had a situation when she shared a house in DC senior year in college. When she came home, there were bedbugs, but the two of us actually threw out the mattress (it was old anyway) and the throw rugs and we bleached and boiled all the bedding and scrubbed down everything. End of story.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Good suggestions! I was worried about her bag that she carries clothes in and her purse. I will tell her to leave the bag at home and bring everything in a big plastic bag. Hmmm.....I wonder how to handle her french horn and its huge case. Maybe leave the case in her car and just keep the horn in the house?
    I have a good dryer, but its one of those sensor ones that shuts off when something is dry, so I'm not sure I can "over heat" the stuff like I'm supposed to, in order to kill them.
    Thanks LC........I feel the same way. There's really nothing that would cause me to keep my children away.........not even Leprosy!

Catherine......we were writing at the same time. I agree!!

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    There is no way in h*ll I would put the risk of bedbugs before my DD's visit at Christmas. No way in h*ll.

Edited to add: No way in h*ll.
    I'm with catherine on this one. I would take all necessary precautions but I can not imagine asking any of my children to not come to my house just because they have bed bugs.

I was rather surprised that my friend suggested this..........but she doesn't have children. I asked this question, not because I was contemplating telling DD not to come, but rather to see how alot of you felt about it. If I told her not to come, I would feel like a totally selfish, uncaring jerk!! Like I said......even Leprosy.........

Cathy, I know you would never tell your DD not to come--makes me feel a little better that your friend doesn't have kids, so she just doesn't know. But your heart is definitely in the right place.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information