Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: did I miss something?

did I miss something?

I remember once upon a time not so long ago there was a super-committee that failed to get a spending(cutting) bill together, and that failure was suppose to trigger a ton of automatic cuts.

I've been listening to the news - no one talks about these cuts happening, no one talks about the super-committee any more - just business as usual. Did they nullify it? Ignore it? Did I imagine it?

They're not scheduled until 2013, another of those "after the next election", "kick the can down the road" things.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

They gave up!
    http://www.newser.com/story/133820/s...dget-cuts.html

My understanding is that now the automatic cuts scheduled in the August legislation (that also established the supercommittee) will take effect, not sure when.
    Kelli

My gluten free blog: Twin Cities Gluten Free
    Our house remodel blog: Our Fair Abode

creaker, my local newspaper (which is now going bankrupt) printed a chart of the Congressional plan, and that chart stated the automatic cuts go into effect in "2012." I cut out that chart and put it on my refrigerator. I, too, was under the impression that cuts happened immediately after a Supercommittee failure.

But Alan is right, cuts go into effect in 2013 which means it will not really happen.

Throw the bums out.

And to my newspaper which cannot even deliver accurate news: gosh, shut the door on your way out and buh-bye!

You didn't miss anything because they didn't do anything. Surprise, surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    You didn't miss anything because they didn't do anything. Surprise, surprise.
    What we need to do is hire Congress as independent contractors (no benefits) and pay them only when the budget is completed and signed. If they can't do it on time, we fire them and outsource it to India.

I hate to agree with anything Rick Perry says, but I like his idea of a part-time Congress. Gives them half as much time to make unnecessary laws and spend all our $$$.

Quote Originally Posted by mamalatte View Post
    I hate to agree with anything Rick Perry says, but I like his idea of a part-time Congress. Gives them half as much time to make unnecessary laws and spend all our $$$.
    Only I fear what they will be up to the other half of the year (lobbying, campaigning etc.)
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    Only I fear what they will be up to the other half of the year (lobbying, campaigning etc.)
    What do you mean they will be... it seems like that's what is right now- constant campaigning!

I want a full-time Congress with full-time results.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnlaurel View Post
    What do you mean they will be... it seems like that's what is right now- constant campaigning!

I want a full-time Congress with full-time results.
    Agreed. Can you say term limits?

Thread Information