Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: conspiracy theories...again

The economy is likely playing into a lot of it too. There's enough truth in a lot of the conspiracy topics to make it easier to validate some of the more extreme views. For example, the government is controlled by money and elite corporate organizations. Whether or not these people belong to the "Illuminati" isn't really the point. There's also a big difference between storing up a supply of food, water, and emergency supplies for a possible economic collapse (which is actually a good thing to do even without a collapse due to all the weather emergencies that could knock out power and distribution channels for weeks) and building a tinfoil pyramid in the backyard with a huge sign made of flares in preparation for the Zyngoidian invasion which will be led by Obama, who is a Zyngoidian in secret, of course.

I just don't really think we have enough information here to judge whether this man really has a serious problem, or if it's more a matter of him passionately enjoying a hobby/topic that his wife doesn't share. For all we know, he could be on a different forum making similar complaints.

That's true. He could be on a forum somewhere typing, "Why doesn't my wife see the danger we're in???? How can I get her to take this seriously??" Good perspective.

Glad you're hangin' in there pinkytoe. There's always hope if someone's willing to step out of their habits and try something else.

From what I've observed, conspiracy theorists rarely enjoy their theories. The positive emotions - contentment, gratitude, enjoyment, peace, etc - are rarely stirred by conspiracy theories.
    Formerly known as Blithe Morning II

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    I vote for a medical checkup. This time of year, many people experience depression from lack of sunlight, reminders of bad childhood experiences, and just the knowledge that your life is not a Norman Rockwell picture.

Hormonal imbalances could be simple factors that influence how we feel, but also they can be a portal into much larger medical problems coming to light. Most women are quite familiar with hormones and how they can affect how you feel. Men are no different, they just have different systems that can get off balance. We certainly live in a world where we are exposed to so many chemicals that having your system upset is certainly understandable.

I don't ever think a change in mood or suddenly becoming paranoid should be dealt with lightly. If he does go and get checked out you will know that at least it isn't a simple problem that can be rectified.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    I wanted to add that I just read a new story and listened to Glenn Becks "message of doom." If you google it and listen to what he says you'll be ready to start heading for the hills scared to death of your shadow, never mind the economy. I can see why someone would get paranoid.

My thoughts are with you. So sorry you have to deal with this. I am sorry that I have no advice to give.

I'm with the people who say that it's a common response to difficult times, and the physical and emotional issues of aging. Along with the fact that there really are serious issues with the leadership of the country, and the wealthy countries of the world as a whole.

Most serious is that we expect Governments to act in the interest of our own citizens, when the wealthy and powerful who own those Governments no longer consider themselves citizens of particular countries.

Hi Pinkytoe - I didn't weigh in on this thread earlier, but I can empathize. My mom developed a hyper-conspiracy outlook on life and it's what I grew up in. She smoked epic amounts of weed though and stayed outside the mainstream as much as possible. That given, she did have a lot of good points - if she were alive today to see the development of technology and how willingly the public is letting itself become tracked, she would be off the richter scale.
    For my own sanity, I am glad she passed before 'Al Gore invented the Internets'

Here's something I came across today that would have gotten her totally berserk:
    http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/?l=sh...101511_fbshare

This along with....
    - willingly letting companies see what you purchase to get a few cents off on groceries
    - putting up all of your dearest personal info on facebook, etc
    - cell phones with gps
    - saving on insurance with a driving tracker
    http://www.progressive.com/auto/snap...-it-works.aspx
    and on and on...

All of the trappings of 'modern life'.... it's hard not to let your imagination run away with you.
    For me, it does't take much to stoke the paranoia fire given my upbringing.... I have to be cautious with my media intake too.

I hope you guys are doing well.

Things are about the same. He knows I don't like to hear about it but still points out things that validate his views. After doing a bit of reading, it seems that conspiracy theories have been around forever and always become more prevalent during scary times. Our difference in personalities optimizes the situation as I tend to be optimistic and ever hopeful and he tends towards the opposite. As I told him and believe, all that really matters in the end is right now, this moment - worrying about the future is pointless.

Thread Information