Thread: Best oil for popping corn?

Best oil for popping corn?

DS mentioned recently that he hasn't eaten popcorn in a long time and misses it. I don't think he has a pan big enough for popcorn and he doesn't have a microwave (choice of his). Plus, microwave popcorn is YUKKY.

For christmas, I bought him a whirlypop corn popper, bought him popcorn and I probably should buy him some oil too, since all he uses is olive oil.
    Knowing him, he probably likes olive-oil-flavored popcorn, but I was thinking of buying him a small bottle of some other oil...........should I get peanut? corn? canola? coconut? I don't want to get any of the ones that add flavors/butter, etc.
    I haven't eaten popcorn in a long time either......have lost too many teeth/fillings to it!
    Thanks for your help.

I always use coconut oil. It's very crisp and clean and doesn't give a coconut flavor.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Generally you want an oil with a higher smoking temperature - agreed, coconut oil is probably the best. Peanut oil is good too, but probably not as healthy.

I've never liked canola for popcorn - maybe just me, but I think it has this fishy odor I don't like.

That said I usually use olive oil, just watch it carefully. But I don't make popcorn a lot anymore.

Simpler at Fifty
    I second coconut oil

We use sunflower oil and it works great. Once in a while we add just a couple drops of white truffle oil. Its really expensive, but you don't need much to give it a really great flavor.

We use olive oil, nice flavor and actually good for you.

Thanks everyone!

I've used olive, canola, and corn oil in my new WhirlyPop (surprise gift from my step-mom, and I love it). And they all taste good to me. I cannot detect any major differences in flavor. My DH is allergic to nuts, so no peanut oil here.

Kara

Thanks Kara.........its good to know that you like the WhirlyPop, since I wasn't sure about it. I hope DS likes it too.

We use coconut oil here, too. And after it's popped, we add a little melted butter, salt and pepper. Mmmmm, now I want popcorn!

Thread Information