Thread: crab cakes anyone?

crab cakes anyone?

Does anyone have an easy, healthy, crab cake recipe? I would like to try and make them this week. If not I'll just wing it.

I love crab cakes, not sure how healthy they are because I've always fried them in a bit of oil. Never tried baking them but probably should. I just mix up crab meat with egg, onion, worcestershire sauce, dry mustard, and throw in some spices and some italian bread crumbs. Roll, flatten, and cover with more bread crumbs. I was debating earlier today between making crabcakes or spinach/mushroom lasagna and went with the lasagna instead. Now I'm hungry for crabcakes.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

I have processes, rather than recipes, so I can't give you exact measurements on everything. I'll rinse one can of crabmeat, add a small chopped shallot, some chopped herbs if I have them (dill, chives, parsley) but fine without, an egg, a couple of tablespoons of mayo (seems to work well with the egg to keep it all together, isn't the same with the egg alone), salt, and Old Bay Seasoning (or the Penzey's equivalent), and add enough dry seasoned bread crumbs til it all holds together. I "fry" on a cast iron skillet that is sprayed with oil.

Not exactly a recipe, but a guideline:

- fresh crab, lots
    - pulse a wee bit of ginger, and some garlic in the food processor
    - perhaps also a small carrot, then set aside
    - more garlic in food processor, then make fresh mayo in the food processor with the garlic. Use fresh eggs, it makes the crab cakes expand like little souffles if you do it right
    - mix in the chopped veggies with the crab, along with some pepper, salt, red pepper perhaps, or whatever other spices/herbs strike your fancy
    - fold in mayo, and some bread crumbs (matzo meal works great, and/or panko crumbs) to bind them into cakes
    - consider also adding some thinly sliced scallions
    - shape into cake/balls, bake on baking sheet or fry in pan or grill

The process works best if you can premake the crab mix ahead of time and let it chill, it melds the flavors better, and makes it simpler to shape the cakes/balls.

Thanks for the help - they are on my menu for the week.

Mrs-M
    Oh my goodness! What a delicious topic!!! Thank you for the great recipes and ideas.

My recipe comes right off the can of crabmeat (Phillips brand):

combine:
    1 egg
    2 tsp worcestershire sauce
    1/4 tsp dry mustard
    2 Tbsp mayonnaise
    1/2 cup breadcrumbs
    1 Tbsp mustard
    1 Tbsp melted butter
    1 tsp parsley flkakes
    1 tsp seafood seasoning (such as Old Bay)
    1 tsp lemaon juice

fold in:
    1 lb crabmeat

Shape into cakes and pan fry or bake at 375 for 12-15 minutes until evenly browned.

I've always fried. Haven't tried baking.

Here's my grandmother's recipe from long long ago. She lived in Philadelphia.

1 lb crab meat
    10 slices fresh bread
    5 T melted butter or margarine
    3 T Worcestershire sauce
    1 tsp salt
    2 T chopped fresh parsley
    1 egg
    egg and water, mixed
    bowl of dry bread crumbs
    grate bread in blender. Pick over and wash crab meat, drain well. Mix all ingredients, shape into patties, dip in egg/water mix, coat with dry bread crumbs, fry in sprayed or oiled pan until lightly browned on both sides (medium heat), about 15 mins.

Thread Information