Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pecan pie - light or dark corn syrup?

Pecan pie - light or dark corn syrup?

Which do you prefer for pecan pie - light or dark syrup?
    Formerly known as Blithe Morning II

Dark syrup makes it much more tasty!

Wildflower
    I've made it with both dark and light, and it didn't seem to make a difference. Both really good!

I've had the recipes for each for over 30 years - they're similar but slightly different. But over the years we've come to much prefer the light syrup version.

Mrs-M
    I vote for light, but then again I tend to lean more towards light, than dark, when it comes to most things. i.e. Chocolate, etc.

I use light, because that's what my favorite recipe calls for. Actually, I use 1/2 c when following the recipe as written calls for 2/3 c and get much better "reviews."

Cook's Illustrated was extolling the use of maple syrup and english treacle syrup for the best flavor of pecan pie. Haven't tried it but DH and MIL like this pie but I don't.

Can a few of you post ur favorite pecan pie recipes when you get a chance....

I tweeked one and added choc chips and bourbon for DH over thanksgiving which he liked, but I'd love to have a fool-proof one.
    The ingredients are so expensive I hate it when I don't like the recipe.

Dark syrup here. Its been a family tradition for at least as long as I've been alive. The recipe also gets a little black strap molasses and a healthy shot of bourbon. I always add one extra egg to a two pie mix to compensate for the bourbon. Without it the crust starts to get overdone by the time the custard is set.

I've never made one, and I honestly don't know which version I am I eating when I try a slice. But I do want to extoll the virtues of adding bourbon. When we moved in here 8 years ago (wow, 8 years, this week!), the neighbor across the street brought us a homemade bourbon (Jack Daniels) pecan pie. My husband can't eat nuts, so I ate waaaay too much of that pie. But wow, I will never forget it.

Kara

Thread Information