Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3-4 meals from One Chicken

3-4 meals from One Chicken

When I roast a chicken, we can have some sliced roast for the first meal. Then the last meal is easy as I make some kind of soup.

For the second meal, I've made chicken salad or chicken pot pie.

What are some meals I could make in the middle to get at least two meals so I could get four meals total?

Or if I didn't roast it whole to start with, but cut it up instead, would it be easier to get four meals out it?

stir fry and pot stickers

chicken in a cream sauce over rice
    chicken curry

chicken in a tomato and chili sauce served over tagliatelle
    Chicken lasagne
    Any cooked white meat could be cut up and used in Coronation chicken
    Chicken stir fry with veggies or noodles
    Jacket potatoes with chopped up chicken in some curry or paprika flavoured mayonnaise

Shred and wrap up in tortillas or wraps with some veggies and salsa or dressing
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Those are all good ideas! We can only get max. 2 meals out of a chicken for 3 people (2 adults, one kid) - roast and soup.

Quote Originally Posted by Amaranth View Post
    Or if I didn't roast it whole to start with, but cut it up instead, would it be easier to get four meals out it?
    I don't think so necessarily, but I do think you'd stretch it farther if each meal you made from it involved small pieces of meat with a lot of other ingredients (e.g., enchiladas, stir fry, curry) instead of serving it first as a sliced roast.

I always roast 2 chickens at a time (same amount of work and oven heat) and I really love having cooked, shredded chicken in the freezer. Timesaver for busy nights!

Kara

3 or 4 meals from one chicken? I would be tired of chicken after the 2nd meal.

Possibiliies for a cut up chicken.....
    Wings, tips removed [saved for stock pot] and separated at the joint, are browned in olive oil and cooked with one 28oz can of plum tomatoes to make sauce for pasta or pizza. Wings are deboned and meat is minced when cooked, then added back to the sauce. This adds a great deal of flavor to the sauce as well as tidbits of meat for texture.

Breasts...one slightly frozen and cut very thinly across the grain for stir fry. Freezing helps in cutting the meat paper thin. The second split into 2 filets and pounded very thin. They can be grilled quickly and sliced into strips to add to a big salad, or sauted with lots of mushrooms and celery in a cream sauce, or with tomatoes, onions, capers or sliced green olivesl and green peppers...both served over rice or noodles. They could also be egged and breaded and sauted to have with mashed potatoes and a veg,. or made into rollatini with a savory bread and herb stuffing and sliced crosswise to serve.

Legs and thighs can be disjointed and made into chicken and dumplings, or chicken and rice for a heartier meal or the legs alone can be browned for the rice and shredded when cooked and added back to flavor the rice.
    The thighs can be deboned and pounded and cooked and used much like the breasts or stuffed and baked or grilled and then sliced.
    The heart, gizzard and liver make excellent dirty rice with the addtion of greens to add volume.
    The carcass, wing tips and neck make stock.

oh, and the meat picked from the carcass after the stock is made can be finly minced and mixed with sauted onions and herbs to make nice, fat stuffed dumplings to add back to the strained stock and cooked.
    Last edited by chanterelle; 12-20-11 at 7:00pm.

Chicken Spaghetti...yum!

Thread Information