Thread: Experimental Baking Question

Experimental Baking Question

Okay --- let's say I have a new, experimental recipe that involves baking something. (Yes -- I love experimental recipes.) Let's also say that when it's done, I know that (next time around) it either needs to bake at a higher temperature, or it needs to bake for more time ---- but I don't know which of the two is the case.

Any suggestions for me sorting this question out?

Thanks,
    Sophia

Tell us about the variables..........the ingredients, the size of the pan, etc. 350 F is a pretty routine temp to bake something at. If the temp is too high, the outside will be burned and the insides will be raw.
    In my experience, most things are cooked in an hour or less (except if its something like a turkey).
    If it needs more time, most of it will probably be un-browned and raw in the middle. You may have to bake this thing several times to get it right.
    P.S. You should also check your oven temp with a reliable thermometer, so you know that if you set it at 350, it is, indeed, 350 inside the oven.

It also might be that the amount of liquid is too high or low in relation to the other ingredients.

Also depends on the end texture you're looking for, something you want to be crispy would be baked at a higher temp. If there is a lot of butter in the dough/batter, a lower temperature is better. Something with lots of sugar in it should be cooked at a more medium temperature too otherwise you'll burn it too easily.

I would always start with the time before temp. I can't really think of many baking recipes that call for an oven different than 350°. The only ones that pop into mind is bread and a couple of bar/brownie recipes.
    Formerly known as Blithe Morning II

I thank you all very much for your replies --- and in a few hours (or tomorrow) I look forward to tasting attempt #2 at my Spicy Tomato Pie. :-)

Thread Information