Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading in 2012?

What are you reading in 2012?

Last year's reading thread was so much fun (and had gotten so long) I thought a new year deserved a new thread!

I am reading several classics in daily installments through http://www.dailylit.com. Somehow I had gotten through life without ever reading "Treasure Island." I'm also reading "The Virginian," which is a classic western, and "Hard Times" by Charles Dickens. I've always wanted to read more Dickens, but I totally bogged down in "Tale of Two Cities" last year. I think I like Dickens better when he's writing about his own times rather than a historical novel. All three are great reads and I enjoy the suspense of having to wait to find out what happens next.

We have just had a new version of Dickens' Great Expectations on BBC TV here, with Gillian Anderson as Miss Havisham. Whilst she has had mixed reviews, I thought she was wonderful! We also have Edwin Drood to look forward to in the next couple of months.

I have just downloaded ALL Dickens' works for my kindle (I think it cost me 99pence!) - as I made a decision to re-read ALL his works this year. I'm starting with The Old Curiosity Shop - I hated it when I read it at school, and couldn't wait for Little Nell to die.... Let's see how it goes re-reading as an adult!

Well, I've got plans! Unbroken for one, and Those who save us for another.

I got a Kindle Fire and have already started reading again - which feels like a miracle in and of itself!! LOL. I have only downloaded "free" books, but am enjoying Snow In Winter right now. I've also downloaded a series of books on Buddhism that I will read next. I also finally got a copy of One Man's Wilderness and am reading that in the evening. Looking forward to adding titles to my "must read" list.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Cloth, Paper, Scissors, a multi-media collage how-to book. I prefer technique books to project ones, but there is useful information (on products and media, mostly) to be teased out of this. I might buy it used.

I've just launched into George R. R. Martin's "Song of Ice and Fire" series, starting with the first volume, "A Game of Thrones." I'd been avoiding it because I'd heard how he takes so long between books, and how frustrated his fans are. But a friend offered to lend them to me, and now I'm sunk.

I downloaded The Count of Monte Cristo to my phone to see if I can read a book on it. Might start that tomorrow while waiting in the dentist's office. Also downloaded a decluttering guide from a blog and would like to read a few more e-books by blog authors. On my list is also something from Zen Habits. Oh, and re-perusing How to Cook Everything Vegetarian.

Just finished Robopocalypse by Daniel Wilson. Basically, it was about a Terminator-like Robots Against Humans war, with a slightly more positive outlook for the humans and no time travel. I'm not sure why the author structured the novel with the ending in the prologue, but it was a very fun, readable book and I love a good apocalypse. At one point, there are even robot-powered zombies! How can you not love that?

Just finished "The Greenhouse," by Audur Ada Olafsdottir, an English translation from Icelandic. The imagery is beautiful, and the plot is seemingly simple, but thoughtful. It's about an introspective young man from Iceland who takes a job as a monastery's gardener in a foreign country. He's 22 and recently fathered a child on a one-night stand. His mother was recently killed in an auto accident; he has an elderly father and an autistic twin brother.

This all makes for a page-turner, but I thought about it a lot when I wasn't reading, and since finishing it. It's very different, and I hope the author writes again.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

As usual, I have several books going:
    Surprised by Oxford by Carolyn Weber
    Giotto by Norbert Wolf
    Catherine the Great by Robert Massie

Thread Information