Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading in 2012?

Reading Life by Keith Richards. I'm skimming some of the stuff, but it's really pretty interesting. He's pretty articulate, even with all the f-bombs.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Just finished Hadler's Rethinking Aging and that it made me do.
    Currently on Moonwalking with Einstein courtesty of pug's suggestion
    Also starting a brand new book called The Power of Habit which is fascinating.

Still slogging through Revelations of Divine Love by Julian of Norwich. Read a gem by Joan Chittister called God's Tender Mercies, about forgiveness. And Richard Rohr's Woundrous Encounters during this Lenten Season.

Unfallen Dead (book 3, Connor Grey series), by Mark del Franco; The Opposite of Fate, an autobiography by Amy Tan; and a whole clutch of books on art quilts and surface decoration

I just finished Switch: Changing Things When Change is Hard by Chip and Dan Heath. I got it (maybe on a a recommendation from this forum) thinking it was about personal change--while there is information about that, the really valuable parts for me address institutional change and fostering change when you are not in a position of authority. I really recommend it and plan to use some of the information at my workplace.

Also reading a bunch of graphic novels--Ex Machina about a guy who can talk to machines, Bone by Jeff Smith which my nephew loves, but recommended for all ages, and Locke and Key which is a darker fantasy-horror comic about a family living in a mysterious house with doors opened by magical keys. The last is darker than I normally like, but the characters are so well written I have stuck with it.

"My Stroke of Insight" by Jill Bolt Taylor. A brain scientist who had a stroke herself in her 30s and survived to write about it and her spiritual and other insights from it. She also gave a TED talk so you can google her on that to see the very brief summary.

Search the Dark by Charles Todd. Inspector Ian Rutledge solves another murder while listening to his inner tormentor, Hamish, a relic from his time on the Western Front. A good read; unlike Inspector Rutledge, I never know until the very end who the villain is.

Gaia's Garden. It is one of those aha books that has totally changed my mind about the way to garden. Kind of like how Tightwad Gazette so many years ago changed my way of thinking about how to live.

C.S. Lewis' Surprised by Joy
    My blog: www.sunnysideuplife.blogspot.com

Guess why I smile? Because it's worth it. -Marcel the Shell with Shoes

Not one damn thing that I like, that's what I've been reading.

Thread Information