Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: How much can you save this month

I've been looking for a large antique cupboard or shelves to put where my old piano (that I haven't managed to get rid of yet, oops!) is. I had some money put aside for it. Everything I've even half-way liked was way too expensive, but yesterday we went to a really nice sale and I found just what I wanted. It was still more than I wanted to pay, even though it was lots cheaper than what I'd been looking at - but then I realized it was half-price, and within my budget! So, I "saved" $225! I feel a little guilty claiming that savings, though, since I wouldn't have spent that much.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Babr good idea to return things like paper towels, I would not have thought of that.
    We rarely buy paper products, I have a series of cleaning rags and "car wash towels" that we use for almost everything. Through the years I know they have saved a bundle.

and early morning, I think that the reason we all try to be frugal is so that we can really enjoy things that we do buy and have value to us. If you are going to enjoy and use the cupboard than great, rejoice that you were able to save.

Back to savings, I donate blood every two months and have for years. I didn't realize it but Best buy has a bonus program for blood donors. I have accumulated about $50 in credits through red cross racing. I also got a free bag of dunkin donuts coffee. The full price is $8.49. I grabbed it on the way home from the blood donation center. of course I would donate if there was no reward, but what the heck. If companies are going to give me free stuff for stuff I am going to do anyway I am not going to turn it down. I hope all the gallons I have donated have saved some lives along the way too.

Also, I got a rebate check for $18.04 from some credit card class action suit, and a friend came down with a delicious Pizza she made as a thanks for making napkins and placemats for her out of an old tablecloth.

So things are snowballing for me.

I probably shouldn't count this, but I was off for four days this week for the holiday so no taxi to/from work -- $13x4=$52! And I took the subway/bus to the office from the airport, so probably saved about $10 there. I may take the bus home tonight, haven't decided yet.

I think I'm up to about $200 now. I've almost paid for my Ipod touch! Heh. This saving money thing could get dangerous...

lhamo
    "Seek out habits that help you overcome fear or inertia. Destroy those that do the opposite." Seth Godin

I think we should be really open as long as there was no harm done IMO

I have been focusing on selling my sewing machine; which hasn't gotten anywhere but i haven't spent any money in two days so i will count that!
    "I 'll walk where my own nature would be leading. It vexes me to choose another guide" Emily Bronte

well i totaled at 159.69!! yea for me or us! will have to tell dh; so i beat the 100.00 challenge

going to start this thread tommorow; its fun to add up the savings

and i love to save! but have to be careful not to nickle and dime dh to death! Its the Scottish blood in me I think; maybe the German blood as well lol
    "I 'll walk where my own nature would be leading. It vexes me to choose another guide" Emily Bronte

Thread Information