Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Self-employment Support?

Self-employment Support?

Someone was posting that they wanted to see more support threads. I was thinking it's hard to start one unless you're in the situation, but I'm gonna go for it.

As you may know, I am very, very, very interested in self-employment. I'm not really starting this thread for advice, which you have soooooo kindly offered in the past. It's welcome, of course, but I do have a few ideas to try to get me going . . . I'm kind of holding off a little so I don't overload and go crazy as we try to finish up this remodel and move. In another month or two I can start to implement my ideas whole-hog.

I just thought maybe this could be one of our support forums, that people at different stages of self-employment could post successes or challenges, getting advice or simply offering inspiration.

For me, at this point, anyone actually making any money would be a huge inspiration for me!!

I am feeling more and more committed to this goal. Today I left work at noon to do some things on the house, and it felt so good. It felt good to be out in the sunshine and able to do the things my mind were actually on instead of having to force my mind to be on work at that time just because it was day time . . . often I find myself thinking more about work in the evening which is "supposed" to be my home time. I know it won't be a picnic of no work ever, but I pine for the flexibility.

Although as far as working for someone else, this is muuuuuch more flexible than teaching.

Well, there you have it. Hope it's a useful thread.
    Kelli

My gluten free blog: Twin Cities Gluten Free
    Our house remodel blog: Our Fair Abode

DH has been earning a modest living since the day he stopped working for a tree company. After urging of many neighbors here, he went out on his own as a handyman. He actually does a lot more than that, he does light construction and small building projects. He can build anything: he does carpentry, tile and marble, brick work, light electrical and plumbing, and of course painting. He puts up fences, installs appliances, cleans up and tidies houses for our friend in real estate, etc. In our neighborhood of Victorian houses his specialty is crown molding.

In the housing boom there were lots of small construction people, now there aren't many left. Even though his customer list has shrunk since at least half of his regulars have moved away, he is still always busy. In this economic climate it just means that his waiting list isn't as long. When he doesn't work he doesn't make money, but that's ok. With my job and since we have no kids, we are just fine.

ps--I just looked at your house renovation blog. I love the cove molding you put in! And the wood floor job in the kitchen, wow! That plus the bead board makes it so cozy! I'd love to have wood floors in the kitchen but we are way too hard on floors. Your house is really cute!
    Last edited by iris lily; 1-9-12 at 11:44pm.

Thanks, Iris Lily! We have been mostly enjoying the project, although we are both ready to be done with it now. We are really happy with the results.

Sounds like DH is doing well. I worry a little about what the fluctuation in income would look like for us. I don't want DH to feel he has to be stuck in his job so that I can do what I want. He's not in love with his, either. I'll be there at least another year, I think . . . we'll just have to see!!
    Kelli

My gluten free blog: Twin Cities Gluten Free
    Our house remodel blog: Our Fair Abode

What I can offer as support is to remember to keep a balance. Being self-employed can be overwhelming. We really put everything into our business and then last year realized that we couldn't even have a single conversation about anything without bringing up some bit of business. We're trying to work on us a bit more this year.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

I have been self-employed since 2001. Many times on the old forums, I recommended the book Secrets of Self-Employment by Sarah and Paul Edwards. I think it's a great introduction and offers a lot of help with the mental/emotional shift needed to move to self-employment. I have an old copy from the 90s - haven't checked to see if there is a new edition. Definitely read it (even the old edition)!

fidgiegirl -- thank you for starting this thread!!!!
    I too am contemplating self-employment.

A side benefit of being self-employed and determining your own time is that there is usually someone available to do those household tasks and chores during the workday. It's like having one household partner at home, sorta.

Quote Originally Posted by Iris lily View Post
    A side benefit of being self-employed and determining your own time is that there is usually someone available to do those household tasks and chores during the workday. It's like having one household partner at home, sorta.
    Totally true. Just got back from the grocery store, actually. If you have kids, this is a great thing, too. I can take my kids to school/pick them up and share after-school care with another self-employed parent. Nice!

It sounds like you are in an excellent position to explore the possibilities, since you now have a somewhat more flexible work schedule and are not tied to a job. Take advantage of the fact that you don't have kids to worry about, too -- if we didn't have kids, I would definitely be exploring side job possibilities. But there are only so many hours in the day, and it just isn't realistic for me to take on anything else right now, even if just for a few hours a week.

Can't remember if I have suggested it yet, but Pam Slim's blog and book "Escape from Cubicle Nation" are also a great resource. She says a lot of stuff similar to Ramit Sethi, but in a gentler way. She worked with Martha Beck, who is also one of my favorites. Both are very funny and I think you'd like their stuff, if you haven't read it already.

lhamo
    "Seek out habits that help you overcome fear or inertia. Destroy those that do the opposite." Seth Godin

I attended a Founding Moms meet-up today - finding a group like that might be helpful. We listed our goals for the year and are going to have accountability partners to check in with us about taking the steps toward meeting them! Plus if you decide on an in-home business, it's nice to get out, meet people in person, talk shop, network, socialize, etc.

Thread Information