Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dry eyes?

dry eyes?

My eyes have been itchy for a couple weeks, and they look a bit red. Now they feel gritty. I guess I really AM getting older. Do any of you use otc drops for dry eyes and find that one brand is better than another?
    Thanks.

Yes - combine living in the desert with being over 50, and welcome to the world of chronic dry eyes. Best OTC brand I've found is Systane Balance. I swear this is the most expensive fluid on earth, though, because you pay about $6-$8 for a one-third ounce tiny bottle! And the least bit of clumsiness and it's dripping down your cheek instead of in your eyes and you have to start over.
    Can you tell I haven't quite gotten the hang of this yet?

Watch out for that gritty feeling - it could indicate a worse problem than simple dryness.
    I get corneal erosions - an active one feels like there is a huge grain of sand in my eye. I have to use eyedrops several times at night, each time I awake. I use ointment from time to time but have noticed it actually may make my eyes even more dry. I use Systane Ultra drops. The opthalmologist recommends the preservative-free drops but I find those too difficult to use in the dark in the middle of the night. He said drops w/ preservative should not be used more than 3-4 times/day as they could be more drying. He also recommended that I take omega-3 supplements.

Hi CathyA, here's a link to vitamin A and its importance in eye health. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_A

It might also be helpful to your daughter, because newer research shows a much lower conversion rate from b carotenes to retinol than had been previously assumed. The author notes that the Food and Nutrition Board has published a vegan diet that contains sufficient vitamin A precursors; one should still take into account that some people don't do the conversion well or at all.

dry eye

I've found the best night ointment for me is Bausch and Lomb Soothe PM. The grittiness might be roscea. I have an antibiotic cream the opthamalogist prescribed to use if the soreness from the abrasions last too long. I've also used a patch when the soreness comes and that seems to help ease it. I can't imagine living in a dry climate! My eyes are red frequently. Good luck.

I just "upped" my dose of fish oil and the dry eyes are no longer!

Thanks everyone!

Similisan for dry eyes--not their other special ones no matter how itchy. I like upping the fish oil.
    I think deep in our hearts we know that our comforts, our conveniences are at the expense of other people. Grace Lee Boggs

Dry eye cause and prescription!

Dry eye has its own conditions and each condition is categorized by loss of water from the tear film.The tear film becomes too concentrated after the loss of water and its "osmolarity" increases.As the tear film pulls water out of the surface of the eye and the eye become dry.The one of a better prescription is eye drops called Restasis.

Good luck Cathy A in finding just the right solution...

Thread Information