Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Apple Cider Vinegar for Colds

Mid Atlantic coast after 30 years in No CA

Apple Cider Vinegar for Colds

Has anyone tried Apple Cider Vinegar, honey and water for their cold? I've just gotten a head cold and this morning started with the ACV, honey and water remedy and am eager to see if it works.

Has anyone else had success with this natrual cure? I also read that gargling with a mixture of ACV, cayenne and water eases sore throats..I've not tried that yet.
    peaceful, easy feeling

I haven't tried it for colds myself, but it is a hugely popular all-round remedy for all manner of ailments. This website is full of people's experiences using natural remedies for different problems. The apple cider vinegar section is huge, if you're interested in having a gander.

I head off colds with zinc, vitamin C, and salt water rinses. If I catch them soon enough, it always works. I also wash my hands thoroughly when I come home from public environments.

Mrs-M
    I'm a firm believer in the idea that once a cold or flu takes hold, there's nothing in the way of anything you can do to chase it away. There may be a few ways of lessening a few of the side-effects of the common cold/flu bug, but nothing IMO (including fancy, over-the-counter remedies) works at eliminating an already established viral invasion.

I've read a few things pertaining to ACV and the health related benefits attached to such, but I hold no faith in ACV, ColdFX, or any other "get better" medicinal gimmick. Plain old table salt mixed with the hottest water one can comfortable gargle with, is apparently the best sore throat home-remedy.

Mrs-M
    One thing I found that works wonders for head-colds, is bringing to a boil a pot of water, then holding your head (face) over the steam with a towel draped over your head to hold in the heat/moisture. (10-15 minutes will do). Once/twice daily.

For a sore throat I love hot lemonade! Definitely need to use real lemon juice, sweetener of your choice and hot steamy water =)
    Not a cure but helps ease the pain.

Hope you feel better soon!

I'm generally with Mrs. M, on both counts, on this one. That said, one thing that really did seem to cure a cold for me one time was chopping about 4 pounds of onions to put in my freezer. The vapors from the onions were intense, and it wouldn't be unexpected for them to have some sort of antiviral action.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhiana View Post
    For a sore throat I love hot lemonade! Definitely need to use real lemon juice, sweetener of your choice and hot steamy water =)
    Not a cure but helps ease the pain.

Hope you feel better soon!
    add some whisky to that and you're talking!

My husband always says a cold will last 6 days if you treat it and half a dozen if you don't.

It's been my experience that if I act at the first sign of a sneeze or a tickle, I can nip a cold in the bud. There seems to be a small window of opportunity before the virus fully takes hold. If I miss the window, I just let it run its course with no treatment beyond hot broth and other liquids.

Thread Information