Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Apple Cider Vinegar for Colds

Mid Atlantic coast after 30 years in No CA
    Looks like my window of opportunity has slammed shut, and the cold is in full bloom, so I'm "in the moment" with it and am just now making chicken soup with rice and plenty of garlic and some cayenne...I work at home so I plan to enjoy this cold as much as possible and pamper my body and soul with good, old-fashioned comforting food and nostrums...it's chill, dreary and raining outside so I'm happy to be snugged up at home in jammies, heavy wool socks and fuzzy jacket...

Wishing everyone else with a winter cold a speedy recovery and no chapped nose and lips...
    peaceful, easy feeling

Mrs-M
    Darn it all. Sending a warm, get better wish your way, HappyHiker.

I think ACV, taken on a regular daily basis, can be a great cold preventative, because it helps to keep your system in a healthy acid-alkaline balance, but it's something you have to incorporate in your daily routine, not a last-minute cure.

Mrs-M
    Quote Originally Posted by Jemima View Post
    I think ACV, taken on a regular daily basis, can be a great cold preventative, because it helps to keep your system in a healthy acid-alkaline balance, but it's something you have to incorporate in your daily routine, not a last-minute cure.
    That's just it. Occasionally someone will say to me, "I felt a cold coming on, so I hit the Echinacea really hard and my cold never developed". I say fooey!

Yep, I fear you may be right...I suspect I earned this cold due to over-indulgence in holiday sweets--or could it be all the other people in town who are coughing, sneezing and hacking away? "Tis the season...
    peaceful, easy feeling

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs-M View Post
    That's just it. Occasionally someone will say to me, "I felt a cold coming on, so I hit the Echinacea really hard and my cold never developed". I say fooey!
    Why? I'm pretty sure at this point in a pretty long life I know what I feel like when I'm starting to come down with a cold. Usually, I nip it in the bud, but sometimes I don't. Even if you haven't had a similar experience, it doesn't change your friend's or mine.

Mrs-M
    My thought is, either it wasn't a cold or flu bug to start with, or if it was, it was so mild that it more than likely wouldn't have developed into anything major (regardless of whether or not the possibly affected person took anything for it or not). I don't believe for a second that anyone can stave off the first signs of a cold or flu bug invasion with over-the-counter medicines, home-remedies, or old-wives tale treatments/concoctions. JMTC (just my two cents). But hey, science points in the direction of alien beings among us, so who's to say there isn't super humans, too!

Mrs-M
    To add, I know what you're saying Jane, and there's not a doubt in my mind that there are some people (like yourself possibly) who possess much more advanced/healthier immune systems (than others), allowing you to bounce back from, and deal with sickness, illness, and even disease, better than others do. But it just seems to me that whenever I hear someone say, "I whipped that cold this time around by getting on the Vitamin C heavy", I think, uh-ugh, no you didn't, the cold just wasn't there to start with...

P.S. I just LOVE that little guy I found!

If you can head off sepsis by taking an antibiotic, I don't know why you can't wipe out an early viral infection with a saline lavage. It's my experience that you can. YMMV.

ETA: the mind is a formidable thing, so I can't rule out the placebo effect. Years ago, Bill Moyer hosted an excellent series called Healing and the Mind in which they experimented with placebo treatment for a serious auto-immune disorder. I recommend the series heartily.
    Last edited by JaneV2.0; 1-12-12 at 11:14am.

Linus Pauling had some pretty compelling reasons to take Vitamin C in large doses. Interesting that my two colds this year have come after I ran out of Vit. C and didn't replace it in my daily regimen. My bad. But now I'm back on the Vit. C train...I'd gone years without colds and flu while taking Vit. C, and now getting 2 in one year says something to me...

Dr. Pauling found that most of us suffer from sub-clinical scurvy and hence all our colds, flus, heart disease and possibly even cancers.

Food for thought? It is for me.

Interesting side note from watching Dr. Pauling on a YouTube video: the Vitamin C RDA for chimps is 75 times more than for humans... (Know why? Chimps are worth at least $2000 for experimental use...we humans? Somewhat less.)
    peaceful, easy feeling

Thread Information