Thread: Share heirloom recipes

Share heirloom recipes

I thought it would be fun to share some recipes that have been passed on to you from generations past.

Every summer I spent several weeks with my German grandparents, who had immigrated to NY in the 20s. My grandmother always made this simple but pleasing peach or plum cake on a yeasted base. You will find similar recipes online that have more butter, eggs, sugar - but my grandmother left her homeland during the depression that followed WWI and this is how she made it. This is the recipe as she wrote it in her 1920s cookbook which I still have. Thinking of this makes it feel like summer!

4 c flour
    1 yeast cake
    a little salt
    milk
    1 egg
    6-8 T sugar
    butter & lard

--- that's the end of her writing. I'll add some instructions:
    Sub 1 T yeast for the yeast cake and dissolve in 1 c water. Mix together flour, sugar, and salt. Make a well in the center and pour in water mixture, melted butter (I suggest about 2 T, but you can use more if you like), beaten egg. Make a soft dough, let rise, punch down. Spread dough on large, greased cookie sheet or two 8x8" pans.

Top with fresh peaches, washed, pitted, and sliced, or fresh Italian prune plums, washed, sliced in half and pitted. Sprinkle with cinnamon (and a little sugar if desired). Let rise. Bake at 250 about 30 minutes or until done - lightly browned all around and baked through at center.

---------
    What heirloom recipes do you have and use?

The only one I can think of isn't that old. Must be pre-60's, as I was taught to make it circa 1965, and Granny said she'd been making it for years. But it uses canned veggies, the proportions are for canned veggies, so I'm guessing it originated in the (40's?; the advent of prepared foods?)..... I've adapted the methods to modern terminology. It is delicious and simple enough....

Scalloped Corn

3 cans (14.5 oz. ea.) cream-style corn
    1 can (14.5 oz.) whole kernal corn, drained
    1 sleeve saltine crackers (1/4 of a regular-sized box of saltines - I don't have a box on hand to look up the size), crushed and divided
    4 tbs. butter or margarine, divided
    2 eggs, slightly beaten
    1/3 c. milk, or so
    salt and pepper to taste

Crush sleeve of saltines and set aside 1/2 cup. Melt one tbs. of butter/margarine in microwave and set aside. In mixing bowl combine corns, remaining saltine crumbs, remaining 3 tbs. butter/margarine cut into bits, milk, eggs, salt and pepper and mix together. Pour into medium-sized buttered (or sprayed) casserole. In small bowl or on plate combine remaining crushed crackers and melted butter till combined. Top casserole with buttered crumb topping. Bake at 350 degrees 45-55 minutes, or till set. Makes 6-8 servings.

Thread Information