Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are You Taking Frugality Too Far?

It is SO refreshing and SO comforting to be part of a group that really does understand the moral implications of their actions and as a simple matter of course works so hard to stay on the high road. Reading the replies here was not surprising at all, but it still made my day. Thanks y'all.

I sat and watched a family at Taco Bell load up on the free sauce packets. They all took a huge amount before eating - obviously for later use. As they were finishing and picking up their garbage, they all (including the Dad) all went and got another handful of sauce packets. I bet they left with 25+ packets.

Sure they are out for the taking, but that was stealing. Not being frugal.

A long time ago on a forum far, far away, there was a 'frugal' thread. Someone suggested when eating out to take many extras of sauce/mayo packets, napkins, etc. as a means of saving $$. A few of us gently suggested that was stealing. The person got very defensive...

I find it annoying that the article makes sure to lump dishonesty and thrift into one nice neat spectrum called "frugality". Theft is not the far end of the frugality scale, it's something else entirely.

I weaned DH off one habit, The Napkin Grab. Not only are they not there for the taking in double handfuls, we don't even use paper napkins. I don't think he ever saw it as stealing though, it was more like he saw it as a free offering he should take advantage of. I disagree. Do still occasionally find handfuls of napkins in His car, tho. What's that say ... perhaps. Lol.

I only disagree with the illegal acts. Much of the article is junk to me.

Thread Information