Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Action vs talk - George Carlin on the anti-abortion movement

I really don't intend to dip back into this conversation, because Gregg is absolutely right--when it turns to values it gets personal, and I don't mean to do that. Madgeylou, you sound like a strong and very self-assured woman--I respect you and your choices, even though I can never in a million years see myself having the same "adventures" as you did. Then again, my background filters include a birds and bees talk with my mother that left me with the impression that I could get pregnant if I wore a short-sleeved shirt. So much for sex education.

I will leave you all with this study. I figured if I ever want to go shooting my mouth off with my uninformed hypotheses, it would be good to get more information, so here's one study that addresses unintended pregnancy, a topic without which we wouldn't have to have much of a conversation about abortion at all:

http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/journals/3002498.html
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

that guttmacher institute has a lot of great articles and information.

Quote Originally Posted by peggy View Post
    Alan, I don't think you really understand the nature of abortion. In the vast majority of cases, the fetus is aborted through a tub a little larger than a straw. There is no viability there. This fetus would not survive outside the womb at any time. Just wouldn't happen.
    The one or two bizarre cases aside, women do not wait until the 7th month to 'just abort' cause they don't want it. This just doesn't happen. I know the anti-choice people will find the one case, and then probably distort the truth of it to fit their agenda, but the vast vast majority of cases just aren't like this. Most are in the first couple of months. Do late abortions happen? Sure. But a real examination of the case will probably show that it was a case of dead fetuses, mothers life in very real risk, or a fetus laking a brain, for instance. Yes, that actually happens, and it is an extremely sad, soul wrenching time for the parents. People don't carry a baby that far just to 'get tired' of it. It doesn't happen.
    My cousins had to make this choice. Their first pregnancy, the fetus had no brain. They were Catholic. It was a difficult decision. But in the end, a fetus without a brain will never become a baby.

Thread Information