Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phone interview?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Phone interview?

Does anyone have any advice for a telephone interview?

So far, I have gotten a headset for the phone, and will have a list of questions in front of me.

I was told it will be with four people (yikes) and last about an hour.

Thanks!

What kind of telephone interview?

I conduct telephone interviews all the time (I had three today). What's the purpose of your call?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Ooops! It's for a marketing job for an architectural firm. I think it might be a bit above and beyond my abilities, but hey, they called me so they must think I am a good candidate. I would guess it would be followed up by an in-person interview. The interviewers are on the West Coast, while the actual job would be here on the East Coast.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    What kind of telephone interview?

I conduct telephone interviews all the time (I had three today). What's the purpose of your call?

Study everything about the company that you can, and try to visualize the kind of employee that would work best in their environment (who would add greatest benefit to the company, in other words)

Write lots of notes about how you'd be that person. This is the ultimate question they're going to explore: Does this person fit, and will she bring something good to us? Have a lot of answers ready.

Rehearse with your husband. Have him ask you questions. Practice being calm, cool, and collected on the phone. It's sometimes very hard to talk to people you can't see. Practice.

Call someone to test out your headset. It was about a month into mine when I learned that people could hear my breath, so when I wasn't talking it sounded like I was a heavy breather. Get it dialed in before the call.

Just some thoughts.

The headset has been tested many times. We use it quite a lot as our phone is a PITA to hold for long calls. My DH calls it "the brick"!
    I did have one phone interview back in the summer; it went well. I had a bit of an advantage there because I actually knew who the interviewers were, and I looked up their profiles in the company's web site, printed them out and then kind of had faces to look at while I was talking to them.

Thanks for the tips!

Quote Originally Posted by puglogic View Post
    Study everything about the company that you can, and try to visualize the kind of employee that would work best in their environment (who would add greatest benefit to the company, in other words)

Write lots of notes about how you'd be that person. This is the ultimate question they're going to explore: Does this person fit, and will she bring something good to us? Have a lot of answers ready.

Rehearse with your husband. Have him ask you questions. Practice being calm, cool, and collected on the phone. It's sometimes very hard to talk to people you can't see. Practice.

Call someone to test out your headset. It was about a month into mine when I learned that people could hear my breath, so when I wasn't talking it sounded like I was a heavy breather. Get it dialed in before the call.

Just some thoughts.

Not sure I can add to what puglogic said... sounds like you're well-prepared.

When I've conducted phone screenings, what really wins me over is enthusiasm, which is fairly easy to communicate over the phone.. If you can identify who is asking questions and then use their name back at them, "Jane, in answer to your question..." But make sure you're sure you're matching the right voice to the right name!

One of the scariest things when you're speaking on the phone is silence, but just take a chill pill and don't let the fear of silence force you into an un-thought out response--you don't have to fill the silence. That's not your job... it's your prospective employer's party, so they'll control that. But on the same token, speak slowly and clearly and use silence to your advantage. Pause briefly before answering--your listeners will hang on in anticipation of what you have to say.

Be pleasant and upbeat.

Break a leg!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Speak more slowly than you think you should. Pause before answering, so any lag in reception at the other end can be accomodated. I have meetings daily on the phone including up to 15 people in multiple states & the US and South Africa. I use my mute button a lot when others are speaking, to keep background noise - like breathing - down. Though my iPhone does a good job of this. If you use mute, BE SURE it's on when you need to speak!

Lastly, as with all interviews, I hope you can enjoy the conversation. I know you may really want an offer, and IMHO opinion, if you can relax and get genuinely interested in the questions and the interchange, that genuine quality will shine through and show you off well.

And blessings. Good luck!!

Stand up while you are on the phone. It makes your voice come alive, and you'll have more energy which will come through.

Relax and be yourself. I know you desperately need a job, and you may want to try to be what they want. I can speak from personal experience that pretending to be someone else to get a job just results in misery later- usually on both sides.

If you are prone to anxiety, having something soothing within reach or view might be helpful.

Smile as you speak on the phone (if you are talking by a mirror this is easier).

Best wishes!!!!

Sending a ton of positive energy your way!!!
    Last edited by mtnlaurel; 1-27-12 at 8:58am.

Go get 'em, ladyinblack!

Thread Information