Thread: Insanity of the War on Drugs

Insanity of the War on Drugs

For those that don't remember, the "War on Drugs" started in the early 70's under Richard Nixon. Now nearly a half a century later and billions and billions of dollars later, we find ourselves focusing on Bolivia because they have proposed lifting the 50 year UN ban on coca chewing citing it has “deep cultural and religious value” for the indigenous peoples of the Andes among other things.

In addition, according to author Steven Taylor, it is used as an appetite suppressant when chewed, allowing people to work through the day without stopping to eat–either for efficiency’s sake or because there is an insufficient supply of food.

Guess who will come out to file an objection against this benign proposal? That’s right, the United States.

According to Bolivian President Evo Morales defending the proposal, "How can it be possible that the coca leaf, which represents our identity, which is ancestral, be penalized?"

The US government argues that making an exception for the Bolivian proposal is “not good for the planet's efforts to control and eventually solve the problem of drug abuse.”

Wow!! Now that really makes me feel better!! We sure know how to make friends and influence the rest of the world.

Does anyone think this might be a waste of taxpayer dollars?

Peace

A-yup. Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results each time is the colloquial definition of insanity.

I don't understand the moral reasoning behind using force to prevent a free individual from consuming the leaf of a plant.

Funny a tobacco producing nation like us doesn't understand the "cultural" value Bolivia is referring to.

And from what I've read, in the process of demonizing the chewing of coca leaves we've also turned a lot of bolivians into falling down drunk alcoholics, because they turned from a harmless pass-time to drinking hard liquor.

Quote Originally Posted by creaker View Post
    Funny a tobacco producing nation like us doesn't understand the "cultural" value Bolivia is referring to.
    Exactly the same thought I had.

Thread Information