Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How does an adult end up in a group home?

Just want to add that in addition to there being few managed, much less therapeutic, group homes for the mentally ill, the patient must actively consent to live in one.
    Has your SIL herself expressed any desire to live in a group setting?
    Agree with all the posters who urge that you support family members in every way possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Simone View Post
    Agree with all the posters who urge that you support family members in every way possible.
    I wish I knew the best way to do this. I am recently married into this family and not close to any of them, though we all get along. Not sure how. The daughter is living about four hours away and the son is kind of part-time at home and part-time at his dorm at school. My BIL has been open but he and my DH are not close. Plus the whole reason for the divorce is that he's pretty much done, so not even sure he wants to talk about what her arrangements are going to be, because frankly, I'm not sure he's going to be very involved in making them . . .

Do I call them? Send them cards? Share the resources you all shared with me, even though that would be unsolicited? I also strongly believe the kids need to be in counseling as they go through this difficult transition, but not sure how or even if to share this opinion.

As far as me personally helping her, it's not my place. This isn't a person who is helped once and then it's done. I think that's why my BIL burned out. It's been like 18 years of this for him. But it's very hard to face this reality, because it means that all of us on my BIL's side of the family will basically be standing by doing nothing . . . the ones who will end up doing the front-line helping are going to be social workers and possibly the kids.

Boo.

I really thank you for all your input. While it was I suspected and didn't really want to hear, it gives some concrete things to look into.
    Last edited by fidgiegirl; 1-22-11 at 6:52pm. Reason: add thanks
    Kelli

My gluten free blog: Twin Cities Gluten Free
    Our house remodel blog: Our Fair Abode

Thread Information