Thread: how much can you save in February

how much can you save in February

I started this last month; as opposed to reaching a certain goal; its just about what little things you did that saved money; and we are very creative here; if you chose not to buy a pair of pants that counts as savings too;

last month with my little increments i saved over 150.00! need to remind myself to tell dh; but even if its something here and there it still matters;

for the next two days dh is in town for meetings; so no commuting; i would say we saved about 20.00; good way to start the month and boost my mood

get ready set go!
    "I 'll walk where my own nature would be leading. It vexes me to choose another guide" Emily Bronte

It is a good goal. I usually work it out that I use what is in the pantry or freezer to avoid spending money.

Well, I took the bus yesterday morning and saved $6.50 -- just about froze myself to death, though (see related thread on Open) and I don't think I'll be doign that again while the temps are so low!

Big news in our house this week is that our beloved household helper is leaving us. We are all heartbroken, but it is for a good reason and we fully support her choice. So we are in transition, and she has kindly introduced a friend who we will be trying out to see if it is a good fit all around. So far so good -- she seems nice and capable. Challenge is that her family lives in another part of beijing, and it takes her almost 2 hours/trip to get to us. DH and I are discussing making some changes and dropping the Saturday hours our previous helper had been working -- that was more important when the kids were little and we sometimes had adult stuff we needed to do on the weekend. Now it seems less crucial, and having the weekends to ourselves will encourage me to put even more effort into my cookign and getting out and exploring Beijing (and maybe other places) goals for the year. That is a roundabout way of saying we MAY be paying less for household help going forward. Hopefully the savings won't all get eaten up by going out more.

lhamo
    "Seek out habits that help you overcome fear or inertia. Destroy those that do the opposite." Seth Godin

Tonight I went to an art exhibit with Dsis. She bought my ticket since she asked me to go - savings: $15.00 Ordered a $50 rebate from my Amazon card. Trimmed my hair myself: $15. So that's $80. already!

that makes it interesting razz; how do we each save; i shop sales; try to keep costs down on all things; cut where i can; like you Ihamo; sorry to hear you are losing your beloved helper; but great on the sat. savings etc. and early morning i think you always do so well!

oh my price dropped on a medication this month by 3.00 so there is something today; as well as a no spend day
    "I 'll walk where my own nature would be leading. It vexes me to choose another guide" Emily Bronte

Boy I am so excited! I hit the Jackpot in just a few days

First the little things; I went to the retail shop looking for a pair of slippers and blue jeans; could find neither so there was 14.00; dh got a free burrito so that was 5.50; plus here is the major one; my sister invited me to go down to florida and meet her and her husband, my folks who are down there now as her son will be playing college baseball in a tournament; so i was all set to go and it started to get complicated
    and i thought why do i want to spend money to fly down to florida; stay in a motel room; costs for food travel etc. all around my nephew playing baseball

so i thought about it and called my sister back though this was difficult to do because as soon as you don't accept an invitation she gets mad at you and you are on her s@#$ list

but i have decided i am not going to get into trying to please her and sacrifice my happiness; if she has a problem and won't speak to me or whatever; then whatever; not my problem

sooooo i saved on airfare that was going to be around 300.00 plus four nights hotel at probably 100.00 a night with taxes; so thats 400.00; plus food say 25.00 a day for 4days thats 100.00; plus the cost of someone picking me up and dropping me off at the airport because where he is playing is an hour away from a big airport; so that would be 60.00 as my dad knows someone who will do it for 30.00 each way

so the sum total isssss; $879.50!!!!!!!!!

incredible what a decision like that saves you! it just amazes me; when you think about it; the decisions we make without thinking; and it may be little ones like that cup of coffee etc. but it adds up; i am so excited i can't wait until the end of the year!

oh i forgot something else; there were no sales in the ad for our grocery store so we didn't go as we didn't need anything; so there is close to 40.00 as you pick up crap along the way

i told dh how much we have been saving and he was really impressed; i tell him its these decisions even if they are small; they add up!

anyway puts me in a great mood to enjoy the rest of my weekend; and someone inquired about my sewing machine; so we shall see where that goes

take care everyone and happy saving!!!

Thread Information