Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Winter's Bone"?

I saw Winter's Bone a while ago and really liked it. It is quite dark but I thought there were some kind of sweet scenes, too. The way the older girl took care of her little brother and sister and mentally ill mom and how they took in stray animals despite being so poor they had to eat squirrel meat....it was very touching. And the little kids were super cute. I didn't feel depressed by it.

I haven't seen "Winter's Bone," but, living in Israel, of course I LOVED "The Debt!" Yes, it was formulaic. But hey, who can go wrong with Helen Mirren playing a Mossad agent Nazi hunter? Super cool!

I really liked Winter's Bone. I thought the two main actors (the teenager and her uncle) were great. I didn't get a "noir" sense about it though. I actually thought it was kind of uplifting.

I think I'll watch it, since I know what scene to close my ears and cover my eyes with. I don't want to pass up a quality movie because it has one or two bad scenes in it. When I was young, I had a phobia of getting my hands cut off which made life unbearable for a number of years..........so you can maybe understand my reluctance to see much of that going on!
    Some people find no use for depressing/slow movies. But I've always appreciated them, if done in a quality way.

Yes, CathyA, I'm in the Ozarks. I'm in Branson and most of this was filmed in my county one town over in Forsyth. The cabin is actually up in Green County just north of Forsyth. The stockyard filming was either in Nixa or Springfield, I forget. The lake scene was Bull Schoals Lake. The lady that does some of the singing has a neat radio program called "These Ozark Hills" on the NPR station out of Springfield.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Just curious Float On........were you bummed when they turned the wilds of the Ozarks into Branson?

Wildflower
    Despite the Branson "strip" - the whole area is still beautiful and scenic. Really only a very small part of it is touristy in my opinion, and some of that is alot of fun - good food and great music. Branson has a "feeling" in my opinion, that I like. We go there about once a year, usually in the fall - it is just beautiful. We live just about 3 hours away.

I really loved the movie.

And I love the ozarks too. I lived in AR from age 9 to 18, and spent a lot of time in the Ozarks.

Branson has changed a lot over the years but you can be "in the wilds" just 10 minutes away from the strip. I love where my house is and the fact that I can be kayaking in less than 5 minutes. I wouldn't like living on the north side of Branson but love it on the south side.
    Wildflower, since you come down here on a regular basis you know the scenic overlook on 165? Thats very close to my house.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

hey Floaton, I was in Branson last October (or was it November?) on the way to Eureka Springs, Arkansas. Love Eureka Springs! Branson, not so much. But to be fair we entered Branson at night and didn't ever really get our bearings. Ended up eating at a horrible Chinese restaurant, and staying at an entirely mediocre though passable Holiday Inn. I think it was a Holiday Inn anyway, they all run together in my mind. It was built on a funky hill and had some step challenges for our doggies.

It was raining when we arrived and raining when we left the next day so my vision of the place isn't great. I read each and every brochure for entertainment and shows and there wasn't one that I found appealing.

In the daylight, in sunny weather, I presume Branson shows off better.

Thread Information