Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Interesting article about repurposing struggling shopping malls

One mall in my metro area has been mostly converted to an arts center, which I think is great. It has many art studios, and small performing arts theatres, etc.

On a similar note (not repurposing, but rather multi purposing). Here in Florida some Republican state representatives discovered an obscure law that has never been enforced. Apparently Florida has a law that any stadium or ballpark that has taken public funds is required to be used as a homeless shelter when not in use.

I don't doubt that the stadium owners will be able to use their money and clout to find a way around it, but I think it is wonderful that the law even exists.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/naked...-homeless.html

Mid Atlantic coast after 30 years in No CA
    An empty supermarket in one of our local shopping centers was re-purposed into our new library--it's really very cool, with high ceilings and big fans...and having all that close parking is a big hit with the seniors and the mobility impaired...
    peaceful, easy feeling

Thanks, Stella! I'm sending a copy of this article to the Township Supervisor where I live. There's a mall within a mile of my house that's on its last legs. First Safeway pulled out, then Sears, and all that's left is a Subway, an outdoor equipment store, a dry cleaner, a small ancient Rite Aid, a private shipping service, a Chinese restaurant, a dollar store and a neighborhood bar. It's really dreary.

I think an indoor play area is seriously, seriously THE answer.

When DS was a little tyke, and it was too cold/wet for him to effectively play on equipment outside, I used to drive WELL out of my way to go to the tiniest indoor play ground in the planet. There were two or three very busy times of day, and a few quiet ones, but it was really great. And, it was very small. But, it was worth it to let him crawl around and climb stairs and go down slides and stuff. And, he got to play with older children, which increased his capacities and abilities.

There were problems with this playground.

First, it was very small compared to it's relative use. It was nearly an afterthought, I think, rather than something planned. If it were larger, and possibly with age segregation (under 5s, over 5s), it would have better served the community. Second, it probably would have been better to put this play area near the food court, instead of a random corner, for example -- because beverages AND bathrooms were a good distance away from this play area. Third, it needed to be fenced. My little guy was fast, and would make a bee-line for the brightly colored clothes in the near-by shop (with sticky baby hands!) if the equipment was overrun with kids. I would work to head him off, but it didn't always go well. Finally, more comfortable chairs would have been really nice. Hard benches with no backs are not fun for tired parents.

This mall, as well, would probably do well to use areas for gardening as well. The whole thing was glass-topped -- like a green house. I could see how well veggies and such could grow in there in the winter. The large planters already in place would be great for planting fruit trees and underplanting those with other plants.

And, I love the idea of churches, community/government offices, and many related organizations just being able to fill a shop space.

Governments already have enough parks, playgrounds, pavilions, libraries, etc.

We're $15 trillion in debt folks! Who is going to pay for all this? Santa Claus?

Thread Information