Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Challenging myself to kindness and positivity

Challenging myself to kindness and positivity

Maybe it's partly because it's February, maybe because it's an election year, but I am getting worn out of all of the negativity I am hearing from people. Not so much on the boards, but IRL. This "everyone is an idiot, especially people who disagree with me, get in my way or otherwise irritate me" meme is getting old. Really, really old.

This morning I got up early and went to the grocery store. My kids have been taking turns being sick for several days now and I needed to get some ginger ale and saltines. I was bagging my groceries and this older lady struck up a conversation with me. She was so blessedly pleasant and friendly that she just made my day. I came home and instead of being crabby and feeling justifiably over-tired, I feel really good. I am able to put this sickness and sleep deprivation in perspective and as a result I am being kinder to my family, who in turn is being kinder to each other. It's contagious.

This is the second reminder I've had in the last few days of how far little kindnesses can go. A neighbor reminded me of some small thing I'd done that didn't even register on my radar screen, but had apparently made a big difference to her.

All of this has me resolved to make an active effort to put more positivity and kindness out in the world. I'll have to think about practical ways to do this, but mostly, I am just going to try to see what good I can put out in the world each day. If anyone would like to join me, I would love to hear what you all are doing. It would make for a nice antidote to the crabbiness.

So far this morning I've been taking care of my sick daughter, getting her ginger ale and watching cartoons to distract her from her misery. Also, although we actually did it yesterday, I was just reading on facebook that the annonymous Valentine we left in a neighbor's mail box made her smile.

That's it so far today, but it is only 9AM. There's time left in the day.
    My blog: www.sunnysideuplife.blogspot.com

Guess why I smile? Because it's worth it. -Marcel the Shell with Shoes

It is amazing how much impact a simple smile can have on my day. I notice this more consciously now than I used to, but in retrospect I realize that I never made as much of an effort to keep up with friends who tended toward cynicism and negativity as I did friends who brought me smiles and laughs.

How Wonderful Stella! I am very interested in this thread, and thanks for reminding me that I would like to put out more kindness, patience and love to the world. This is random acts of kindness week I think I heard, so I have been thinking of what I could do, but your thread reminds me that it needs to be ALL the time. We are just so darn busy, (whether real or in our minds), that we go through the day without taking time to interact with others we run into. Maybe "Hi, how are you?" are we pass them in a doorway, but that older lady at the grocery took time to actually start a conversation with you and look at what happened! A snowball was started!

I don't know that I have anything to report yet, but will certainly be looking for ways to spread this! I am also looking forward to what the rest of you may post as you spread this act of kindness around. Thanks Stella!
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

I've been singing Keep on the Sunny Side by Carter Family a lot lately. It really does help.

mtnlaurel, I love that song. That was Cheyenne's favourite when she was a little girl.

Sad Eyed Lady, I am excited to read about your acts of kindness!

Rosemary, I can see the same pattern in my life. I am much more drawn to people who are positive.

I set up the coffee to brew tomorrow morning. DH usually does that, but he's been forgetting lately because he's tired too and then he doesn't get any before he leaves for school. I know he has a ton of homework tonight, so he'd probably forget. I was standing right there by the coffee pot so it only took a minute.

Stella, thanks for this thread, though I have to say you're one of the most relentlessly positive people on this board!

Today I thanked my yoga instructor for bringing peace and much-needed stillness to all of us, and I thought she was going to cry. Sometimes we forget -- or at least I forget -- that there are some people who go for many days at a time without hearing a kind word from anyone.

Mrs-M
    Originally posted by Stella.
    My kids have been taking turns being sick for several days now and I needed to get some ginger ale and saltines.
    One of my favourite mommy remedies! How right you are Re: crossing paths with a cheery, friendly person, and how it rubs off in a pleasantly positive way. I know it always has the same effect on me, too, helping redirect my focus on all things happy!

Sometimes you just need to read a story like this one, too: http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/07/14...act/index.html

"If you do something good, it can spread in circles, like rings on the water."

I love that article puglogic! That is exactly the kind of thing I needed to read today.

Also, that reminds me that I need to put stamps on the letters my kids wrote to the kid we sponsor in Uganda and actually mail them. They have been sitting in envelopes full of sparkly stickers awaiting mailing for a week.

Lovely thread and a wonderful reminder about February blahs being a good time to make a difference with a smile.

Thread Information