Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nominations requested for SLF / NRM Board member!

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    I was thinking more about this last night and wanted to make some comments on the two people others mentioned, Alan and Bae. My comments are of course gleaned from reading their posts and the impression I have gotten from them.

for Bae, I think he would bring to the board business smarts- it seems he is very well educated in a wide variety of topics, very well read. He has done a lot of community work and dealing with government systems in getting things done to make a better place for his community. Also, not being beholden to an employer it might be easier for him to arrange time as needed.

alan seems very sure of his opinions and would bring to the board his self assurance and drive. He has already been involved so I think he would probably have the best idea about what is needed to help the community grow and prosper.

mrs. M and the others I mentioned seem like people anyone could work with. Although they all might be too busy to even think about another commitment, they seem to be committed to a simple living lifestyle, which is what I think is the basis for the NRM foundation and SLF. They would bring a different set of qualities to the board.

Prospective Board Member Materials

FYI, I have uploaded the materials NRM uses regarding Board membership, to the FI wiki. Anyone interested in Board membership can access the files here. Since these were documents adopted and/or used prior to SLF incorporation, they do not necessarily reflect additional skills/criteria that might be specific to the forums, so once a SLF rep is added, they can help amend the docs as desirable.

You can access the files here:

http://www.financialintegrity.org/in...tors_Materials

Mrs-M
    Originally posted by Alan.
    I'm honored and humbled to be nominated
    Great!

Mrs-M
    Flowerseverywhere. Awww, So sweet of you. Sadly, with such a large family to watch-over and care for, the position would be too much for me to comfortably take on. But may I say, it sure feels great to be thought of. Thank you.

Redfox - will you accept a nomination?

There are so many people who are contributing great things to this community! I think having a community-organizer type take this kind of role could help move us to the next level. I don't think this one position is going to do it all (that would just mean burn-out) but this position could help rally others and expand the group effort.

I'd like to nominate redfox, because I believe she has experience running and developing non-profits, and especially fundraising / revenue generation -- a key need for this community! Redfox, would you accept a nomination, and can you clarify my vague description of your skills?

Quote Originally Posted by gwendolyn View Post
    There are so many people who are contributing great things to this community! I think having a community-organizer type take this kind of role could help move us to the next level. I don't think this one position is going to do it all (that would just mean burn-out) but this position could help rally others and expand the group effort.

I'd like to nominate redfox, because I believe she has experience running and developing non-profits, and especially fundraising / revenue generation -- a key need for this community! Redfox, would you accept a nomination, and can you clarify my vague description of your skills?
    Gwendolyn, thank you! Sadly, I cannot take this on & do it justice... Largely because yes, I run a small, national non-profit, fundraise for it (as well as being in the midde of planning a national conference -yikes!), and am also on my national alumnae board doing the same. One more would do me in...

I agree that folks with non-profit management skills & experience are helpful. The same skills are used in managing businesses too, with the distinction that businesses manage towards a profit, and non-profits manage towards a mission. Profit is secondary; paying the basic bills while meeting objectives is not, and anyone with a solid business background is a great asset to the non profit sector. (Bae!)

I would love to contribute towards the well-being of this community. Towards that end, I would be happy to do a pro bono development/fundraising work session with the board, especially if I could get put up on Whidbey!
    Last edited by redfox; 2-28-12 at 1:30am.

Happy March, folks! Looks like we have 1 definite (thank you, Alan!) and 2 possible nominees. I've emailed Float On, and Stella to see if they accept Flowerseverywhere's nomination, since they don't seem to have noticed this thread. Bae, Mrs-M, Tradd and redfox did not accept, and I know Fidgiegirl is not available due to a previous conversation regarding moderating. Anyone else I missed?

We have some great nominees mentioned above. I understand that the moderators are all stretched pretty thin already, but I would like to at least pay the tribute of nominating lhamo. I think she epitomizes the balanced voice of reason.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    We have some great nominees mentioned above. I understand that the moderators are all stretched pretty thin already, but I would like to at least pay the tribute of nominating lhamo. I think she epitomizes the balanced voice of reason.
    I would agree with the above. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    there are several community minded posters in my opinion who always have good input on the frugal boards. I have learned so much from the great ideas they have and they seem to embody the spirit of contributing good ideas and don't get involved in public policy fighting. They seem to be walking the walk.

Mrs M, Stella , Tradd and Fidgiegirl , Float on, and redfox .
    Thank you, Flowers, but I simply have too much going on locally.

Thread Information