Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Evil of Hangman

If that's all the violence we had to worry about".............

Quote Originally Posted by Susan View Post
    I really think that worryiong about Hangman is a bit silly. How did the previous generations grow up without beconing violent nutjobs while playing these games? I understand that cops and robbers is also out. As is dodgeball. Instead of banning anything, 'cause that's censorship, how about teaching children that it is a GAME, not real life. Kids used to be able to understand that.
    As long as we're being politically correct to the Nth degree, let's not forget that hangman is sexist and promotes violence against MEN. It is hangMAN, afterall, not hangperson.

Seriously, I have to agree with Susan. And as creaker mentioned the "violence" of hangman is just too abstract to be seen as a real threat. We played it in school and so far as I know not one person from my class has violently lashed out at others. Echoing the sentiment of others, if that were our biggest worry or threat to our children we'd be in pretty good shape. Can't help thinking we'd be better off expending our efforts to end a few wars where REAL people get killed.

Quote Originally Posted by creaker View Post
    There a lots of things where you have to draw lines (sorry, I'm punning hangman :-). What I mean is for many values and issues you have to draw lines - following them to their ultimate ends leads into absurdity.
    +100

Getting upset about hangman is ridiculous! Yes, I played it as a kid, no it was not violent

The examples you give are certainly more troubling than hangman. But isn't the point that we as a society have to start at some point to decrease the everyday violence we are willing to accept?
    Even then hangman? Hahaha, really?

Since the violence in one's rhetoric is considered so important these days how about the fact that the politicos are always declaring a "war" on something or other. Now I don't think all of these metaphorical wars are themselves illegitimate (unlike our real wars). To reach back in time: the "war on poverty" for instance, I can sympathize with the ends that was trying to acheive. But why use that language for it? Why call it a war? Never even mind such modern absurdities like the war on terror.

And no let's not even go into the EVERYDAY violence that is part and parcel of many kids home life!! Nor the fact that bullying goes on at school everyday and blind eyes are turned. No the main problem is hangman!

I doubt a kids' game such as hangman is much of a problem, but is the effect of normalizing violence as we grow up cummulative so that as adults we are more willing to accept it on a grander scale?
    The problem is more than just we are willing to passively accept violence (though that might be bad enough). Violence is often actively cheered. Why does a presidents approval rating go up when they start a war? (of course it might not at this point, we may have reached diminishing returns in terms of popularity on all these wars.... or not)

I think it boils down to what you as a parent feel comfortable with. If it bothers you, then encourage your children to find other games to play. I didn't let my kids watch violent cartoons or shows like Power Rangers. When my son was a teenager, he wanted to play some of the computer war games. I decided to compromise, fearing he would get too interested in these things, if I forbade them. Well, I eventually didn't allow him to play these, and I regretted ever compromising. His behavior definitely changed during and after he played these games.
    Now granted, a game of hangman isn't the same thing, but it just comes down to what parents feel represents their ethical/philosophical positions.
    Kally, if your kids like this game alot, maybe you could fashion it into something else, that doesn't represent a man hanging?
    And even if everyone on this forum disagrees with you, it doesn't mean your thinking is "wrong". You have to do what you feel is right in your heart.

Thread Information