Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY Ice Cream Cake - Any Tips?

Will use my new long loaf pan to bake the cakes and then can do the layers as suggested. Thanks for the ideas.

Ok, so I had my 2 cake layers and i.c. layer in freezer overnight. I am getting ready to assemble and decorate. Then I will return it to the freezer.

Here's a question I have though.....

Do I move it to the fridge to let it soften a bit before serving, if so how many minutes before serving?

I was thinking the cake layers would be rock hard.

I think I usually let it sit on the counter for about 10 minutes before slicing.

Mrs-M
    I'm really enjoying this thread! Such great, helpful ideas, too! Thanks everybody!!!

My ice cream cake was a huge success!
    Thank you for holding my hand through it.

Although not necessarily simple per se, it brought me a tremendous amount of happiness to make..... and cost at least 1/2 of what the store bought ones did.....
    plus the store bought ones didn't come with the Barely Identifiable Orb on them like mine did (that's supposed to be a soccer ball, DS is a soccer nut!)

http://www.simplelivingforum.net/album.php?albumid=71

I can't figure out how to post the photo, but I put it in the album above.
    Last edited by mtnlaurel; 2-26-12 at 5:17pm.

Mrs-M
    OMG, does that ever look delicious!!!!! Great job! What time were you planning on serving it up, Mtnlaurel?

Are you kidding me? Ice cream CAKE is now made with cookie crumbs??!! Not that I don't like cookie crumbs, but really!!
    I'm going home for my mom's 87th birthday, and she has asked for ice cream cake, because she has never had it. (Actually, she has had it at my dd's birthday parties, but she doesn't remember, and it is her birthday and she can have whatever she wants.) Making one myself will be a challenge; since my mom doesn't cook anymore she doesn't have baking pans or ingredients, which means I would have to buy a bunch of stuff that will never be used again. I guess I could use a mix. Not my idea of a celebratory cake, but it could be done, baked in foil pans from the grocery.
    I was just going to order it from Coldstone Creamery to make it easier, but if it is just cookie crumbs, forget it. That isn't the icecream cake she wants! Now I have to figure something out. Suggestions?

Btw, Mtnlaurel, that looks fabulous! I don't decorate so well, and my mom has no decorating tools anyway, but I think if it just looks like a nicely frosted cake, then I'll be okay.

Good job Mtnlaurel.
    Love the Orb! My son was looking over my shoulder as he walked by and said "Is that a panda bear head poking out of a cake?" Then he took a closer look and said "Oh....soccer ball....right." lol
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by domestic goddess View Post
    Are you kidding me? Ice cream CAKE is now made with cookie crumbs??!! Not that I don't like cookie crumbs, but really!!
    I'm going home for my mom's 87th birthday, and she has asked for ice cream cake, because she has never had it. (Actually, she has had it at my dd's birthday parties, but she doesn't remember, and it is her birthday and she can have whatever she wants.) Making one myself will be a challenge; since my mom doesn't cook anymore she doesn't have baking pans or ingredients, which means I would have to buy a bunch of stuff that will never be used again. I guess I could use a mix. Not my idea of a celebratory cake, but it could be done, baked in foil pans from the grocery.
    I was just going to order it from Coldstone Creamery to make it easier, but if it is just cookie crumbs, forget it. That isn't the icecream cake she wants! Now I have to figure something out. Suggestions?
    Could you put your own round cake tins in your luggage? They are light weight.
    To decorate - I just used a baggie with hole cut in the corner.

It was super easy to make really. I used store cake mix - cool the cake layers completely, wrap in wax paper then put each layer in freezer.
    Line cake tin with wax paper and mold ice cream, return to freezer.
    Assemble layers-wrap up in wax paper, freeze a bit more. I just used store bought frosting. Keep in freezer until serving.
    Take out about 15 minutes before serving --- it is a little harder than I really like. I much prefer a fresh, room temp cake with a scoop of ice cream.
    For the left overs on my own (dangerous!) - I found 15 seconds in microwave worked wonders.

Quote Originally Posted by Float On
    Love the Orb! My son was looking over my shoulder as he walked by and said "Is that a panda bear head poking out of a cake?" Then he took a closer look and said "Oh....soccer ball....right." lol
    That's funny!
    Now I have template for a Panda Cake next year !

Thread Information