Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: people and their i-phones

Mrs-M
    Originally posted by Iris Lily.
    The liquor store where I shop has a sign at the check out counter that says (paraphrase): " We are happy to serve you when you have completed your cell phone call.
    +1.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs-M View Post
    When I'm attending one of my children's Christmas Plays, or at a special event where a speaker (or stage artists) are front and centre stage, I do not want to hear a cellphone. Not a one.
    I don't know....I have been to many Christmas plays where any distraction seems less painful than the performance......

Perhaps your kids are better actors than mine.
    author of A Holy Errand

Mrs-M
    Originally posted by Fawn.
    I don't know....I have been to many Christmas plays where any distraction seems less painful than the performance......

Perhaps your kids are better actors than mine.
    LOL! My level of displeasure over cellphone use (and texting, I'll leave that for another day), arises from standing in line at the bank or supermarket, and hearing someone's cellphone go off, and then, as if to relay to everyone in the store/bank, the person on the cellphone talks EXTRA LOUD as if to say to everyone in their presence, "HELLO, CAN YOU SEE/HEAR I'M TALKING ON MY CELLPHONE". Translation, can you keep it down everybody, because I'm not smart enough to cut the call short and carry on the conversation later, in private, or at best, OUTSIDE! (Outside, so the rest of us don't have to listen to you)!!!

Cellphone use IMO has become much like what smoking used to be. For example, "oh, you don't smoke, well, too bad, because I do, and if you don't like the smell, then stay home". That sort of attitude. WRONG! We now have smoking bylaws, where non-smokers have the right to sit down in a public place and enjoy a meal or a get-together, without being smoked out, and it's just a matter of time before similar bylaws are brought down to put an end to inconsiderate cellphone use as well.

It scares me to think that governments could go so far as to do such a thing. If they can prevent a person from talking on a cell phone in public, can they also prevent me from talking to my child in public? From laughing out loud? From coughing or sneezing?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Mrs-M
    Doesn't scare me. Here in Canada, we have a law in place that prohibits talking on cellphones while driving. How about in the US. Are you allowed to drive while chatting on a cellphone?

I have nothing against cellphone use in public per se, I do however have a problem (a big problem) with cellphone use at a paid concert or event, where people have paid money to attend a function, not paid money to listen to someone's cellphone. Likewise for restaurant outings, particularly fancy or classy establishments, same goes for places such as museums.

Doesn't scare me. Here in Canada, we have a law in place that prohibits talking on cellphones while driving. How about in the US. Are you allowed to drive while chatting on a cellphone?

I have nothing against cellphone use in public per se, I do however have a problem (a big problem) with cellphone use at a paid concert or event, where people have paid money to attend a function, not paid money to listen to someone's cellphone. Likewise for restaurant outings, particularly fancy or classy establishments, same goes for places such as museums.
    Cell phone use while driving is a matter left up to the individual states in the US. There are a variety of laws. Over half the states have laws prohibiting texting while driving. Other states outlaw the use of a hand-held phone, but permit the use of a hands-free device. Some states prohibit certain uses of a cell phone by age--the younger the driver, the more prohibitions. My state allows cell phone use, but bans texting and watching video screens (although a GPS screen is allowed). However there is also a strong "distracted driving" law and cell phone use can fall under that.

LOL! My level of displeasure over cellphone use (and texting, I'll leave that for another day), arises from standing in line at the bank or supermarket, and hearing someone's cellphone go off, and then, as if to relay to everyone in the store/bank, the person on the cellphone talks EXTRA LOUD as if to say to everyone in their presence, "HELLO, CAN YOU SEE/HEAR I'M TALKING ON MY CELLPHONE". Translation, can you keep it down everybody, because I'm not smart enough to cut the call short and carry on the conversation later, in private, or at best, OUTSIDE! (Outside, so the rest of us don't have to listen to you)!!!.
    Just FYI, the reason people talk so loudly on cells is that, unlike handsets, cell phones do not have an amplification loop back to the speaker. With landline handsets, even cordless ones, what you're saying is amplified back to you. So you can hear yourself and modulate your volume. Cells don't have that ability, so the speaker cannot tell how loud they are being. One can actually talk very softly into a cell and be heard quite well by their party, but don't realize this.

Quote Originally Posted by alan View Post
    It scares me to think that governments could go so far as to do such a thing. If they can prevent a person from talking on a cell phone in public, can they also prevent me from talking to my child in public? From laughing out loud? From coughing or sneezing?

Totally with you here.

Thread Information