Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This cough is making me crazy!

This cough is making me crazy!

A week ago last Saturday, DS got the flu. We brought him home to take care of him. Within 3 days, I had it, but mine has lasted longer with much more upper lung involvement. I have been coughing my brains out for about 4 days. I sound like a 3 pack-a-day smoker with COPD. I sound horrible when I cough. When I sit quietly, really weird sounds come out of my mouth.......like birds, frogs, a rusty porch swing, the ocean. Its unbelievable.
    I started zithromax (which is a 5 day course) 3 days ago. I've been taking fairly big doses of mucinex to thin the mucous. DH listens to my lungs and they are clear. So this is an upper airway problem. I realize that the antibiotic might not be working 'cause it could be a virus..........which sometimes are worse than bacteria.
    Fortunately, I was finally able to sleep last night with my cpap. I've learned to not exhale too deeply and to not turn much. For some strange reason, the coughing actually settles down when I go to bed. The absolute worse thing is when I eat. Eating sets it off really badly. I wonder why???

I haven't taken any cough medicine because I was thinking that coughing was good for me. But I just can't take it anymore. I go into these horrible coughing spasms. I just about throw up and can hardly breath.
    And the pressure in my head when I cough must bring my vessels dangerously close to popping!
    Anyhow..........all this just to ask you what kind of cough medicine you think works best? I'm crying Uncle! and having DH bring some home today.
    Thanks.

The active ingredient in Mucinex is Guaifenesin which is the active ingredient in a lot of cough medicines, like Robitussin. If that's not helping, you might want a cough medicine with a cough suppressant.

coughing is good if it is productive. It moves mucus out. However, if painful or nonproductive, you need to calm it down and OTC cough medicine is great. I had the same cough and upper airway issues and cough syrup was my friend. Any thing like Robitussin or Triaminic are fine (and pretty much all the same) just make sure they only treat the symptoms you want and not full spectrum.

I would also breathe in lots of steam as it relaxes and moisturizes the airway.

I have

I second the steam

Also, vitamin C may shorted the course of the illness and generally help you feel better

For no reason I can figure out, red Powerade really helps me with anything respiratory

Thanks everyone,
    I've been on Mucinex for days, and it doesn't help. Actually, nothing helps. I've been taking zinc and C. I haven't tried a cough suppressant because I thought this was all trapped mucous because of how it sounds when I cough. But now I'm thinking its just very swollen, inflamed bronchial tissues. So DH brought me some Robitussin (plain) and I'll give that a try. Life has been miserable with this coughing. Just miserable. It has made my head hurt so much. I'll let you know if the Robitussin works. I'll actually be able to go to the store! I didn't want to have my coughing fits anywhere in public.
    Thanks for your suggestions.

Cough syrup with codeine is what always worked for me. My colds frequently transition into a really bad bronchitis cough scenario. Fortunately I don't get sick very often. Hopefully this will lessen somewhat in the future without the cigarettes. I know that not everyone tolerates codeine though.
    Good luck, Cathy. A bad cough is a miserable and tiring experience, and I hope you get over it soon.

Marshmallow root tea helps with the rawness; it produces a very soothing gel that coats the inflamed tissues. I've found that a little tiger balm on my chest eases my breathing when I have a rattling cough; beware, tiger balm can raise blisters! I first apply a thick layer of plain vaseline, then dab tiger balm onto that.

And my cough is making ME crazy. No OTC medications work for me. I finally took a Tessalon Perle (prescription cough suppressant) because my diaphragm hurt every time I breathed. It's a virus and will run it's course but in the mean time I am miserable. I haven't slept in the same bed with my husband for almost a week because I keep him awake coughing. So aggravating.

I am so sorry! At night, it might help if you can sleep sitting up, or rather in a recliner with your CPAP. Being more upright should help you breathe. Just prop yourself with pillows, kind of wedge yourself in slightly reclined and you can sleep pretty comfortably like this. good luck.

you haven't started any new meds lately have you. I did and coughed for 6 weeks before I figured it out.

Thread Information