Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning a tile shower

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cleaning a tile shower

DH and I installed a tile shower at the new house. (OMG - what a project.)

It occurs to me that I've never really had to be responsible for cleaning a tile shower! I've lived in houses with them, but always someone else cleaned them, if that makes any sense at all . . .

Anyway, what's your fave way to clean your shower?

I'm thinking a switch in brand of soap will be a first order thing for us. The Kirkland brand bars we were using always left a lot of residue on our shower curtains at the old house.
    Kelli

My gluten free blog: Twin Cities Gluten Free
    Our house remodel blog: Our Fair Abode

We installed a full tile surround in our bathtub a couple years ago. We used unsanded grout. About once/year I re-seal the grout - I bought the sealant at Menard's or Home Depot and can send you the product name if you need it. It comes in an orange-yellow bottle about 8" high.
    We keep a squeegee in there to remove excess water after each shower. I use my usual dish soap spray for cleaning - nothing fancy or harsh. Having the tile/grout sealed makes a big difference.
    We use olive oil soap and we do get some soap scum on the bathtub - that lower area probably ends up being the most difficult part of your shower to clean from the soap scum, I'm guessing. I use green plastic scotchbrite pads for scouring pans in the kitchen, and when they are not fully abrasive I put them in the bathroom for use in cleaning the soap scum.

If I have a lot of build up I use baking soda/water slurry and a soft sponge to clean and then rinse with warm water. This even takes rust build up! We used to make and use our own shower spray (vinegar water soap and rubbing alchohol) but we don't anymore

Mrs-M
    When it comes to tiled-shower enclosures, there is no magic secret to it, one has to dry out the enclosure (after every use) if you want the tiles looking their best. Even then, you will have to perform touch-up cleanings every month or so to keep build-up away.

One apartment I had, the shower was tiled in those little one-inch-square tiles. I don't think the previous tenants had cleaned the shower, ever. I used a scrub brush and Bon Ami to clean it. The grey tiles miraculously turned blue! After that, I squeegeed after every shower and used the scrub brush/Bon Ami weekly. The bristles of the brush get into the grout lines and get them clean.

(And if you think that was bad, you don't want to hear about the stove top.)

Mrs-M
    Originally posted by Miss Cellane.
    And if you think that was bad, you don't want to hear about the stove top.
    I can imagine. Element pots full of charred food, chrome rings that no longer look like chrome, and sticky black/brown built-up gunk, under each chrome ring, and a pool of shiny, almost syrup-like goo on the inside of the oven.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs-M View Post
    I can imagine. Element pots full of charred food, chrome rings that no longer look like chrome, and sticky black/brown built-up gunk, under each chrome ring, and a pool of shiny, almost syrup-like goo on the inside of the oven.
    The oven was spotless (the previous tenants must never have used it). The top was covered, completely covered in baked-on grease about 1/4 inch thick--to the point we thought the entire top was rusted, corroded metal. It wasn't until I started cleaning it that we realized the top was bright, shiny, blue enamel with white spatters--really pretty, after the 6 hour cleaning session revealed it. Very old gas stove, but it cooked great.

Mrs-M
    How awful. That's one of the problems with tenants (in general), they have no appreciation or respect for other people things.

I use a good microfiber cloth. When the shower is dry, give it a light spritz with plain water and wipe. I also allow the bathroom to dry completely and vacuum the floor and sometimes the tub. Otherwise, hair is hard to pick up.
    Formerly known as Blithe Morning II

Mrs-M
    How about washing the floor, Anne Lee?

Thread Information