Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Thread: Weight Watchers

Cute photos.

Okay, I need some support and this looks like a good place. I know KNOW that wheat, dairy and SUGAR are not good for me. For about three weeks I have been flirting with the wheat and dairy, with predictable results....body aches, joint pain on waking, interrupted sleep, brain fog and allergic rhinitis. These symptoms are much LESS than what I was experiencing before I went off those things but back then I had no idea that my diet was creating such troubles for me. Anyway, I seem to behave as if these things are addictive; if I have some I want and crave and seek out and EAT more. If I make sure I have enough protein, interesting vegetables and good fats, I can sometimes slow myself down but I have not been able to have a "clean" day in over a week and I don't think the next three days are going to do it for me either.

I am disappointed in myself because I had thought I had gotten past the self-delusion phase; that those holiday cookies and fudge were really not for me, but nobody else has been eating them. I didn't need to make them at all: DH is planning on NO cookies until The Day and then he will be very moderate. And DSD is with her mom, so this is really all about my food issues.

I guess I need to remind myself of no shame, no blame, and start from here but how? Or should I start from Wednesday? It is too easy and an old pattern to just give up and eat whatever arrives for the next five or six days but that will put me even further behind where I am now (still needing to lose five more ....maybe more than that now....pounds.

Arrgggghhhhh! Sorry for the angst. I am sure it will all be fine and I am grateful that this is my complaint. Life is pretty darn good if your problem is that you have too much good food to eat.

What works for me? Start today. It's easier to start and have the decision made than to think about it every time I see one of those foods. I'm off all wheat and it makes life easier, not harder. Bread? No, thanks. Cookies? No, thanks. Cake? No, thanks.

Giving up wheat immediately removes a lot of unnecessary calories and sugar from my diet. Every time I try eating it again, I gain 5# very quickly, and get very congested to boot (seem to have a mild allergy). When I eliminate wheat, the 5# vanishes within 4 days.

Thanks, Rosemary. Your elimination diet blog was extremely helpful to me (we were eliminating at the same time). Wheat is pretty hard on my system but sugar is so ..... I don't know what. I just crave it, and crave it. I could ditch alcohol for the rest of my life and not miss it but sugar....yet when I have been clean from it for a week or so I don't even want any. This is so peculiar. It so clearly is NOT will power. Well, I guess I need will power to get back to clean but the cravings are not psychological.

Today is has been the spiced pecans. At least there is protein and fat there so the sugar doesn't give me rushes but I have to stay out of the chocolate. And wheat is out; that was easier. I have avoided wheat for almost two days so things should be starting to be a bit better. I also went for a walk this morning (have been overworking and underexercising for about six weeks) despite the really miserable cold and wind. So two things are pointing in the right direction.

leslieann, i understand. I love and crave sugar, too. I have decided that I can be off wheat and that will cut out most of the sugar, but I can have some sugar and desserts that don't involve wheat, such as pudding (I make it with almond milk), pumpkin custard, fruit crisp, and ice cream on occasion (no cones). This is working for me now. Also, when I want something sweet I'll try a dried apricot, date, or fig first.

That's my approach now, give in to sugar but seldom have wheat. And I don't get crashes or feel bad from sugar much anymore (without wheat), or get as out of control around it, and my digestion seems better. Of course I have still at times consumed an entire chocolate bar, so it's not much of a weight loss strategy.
    Trees don't grow on money

I can't eat chocolate due to reflux, so that cuts another sugar source. And when I make dessert at home I generally use pureed dates, honey, or maple syrup in place of sugar, and less sweetener than is listed on recipes; both techniques seem to reduce the addictive nature of sweets for me.

Do any of you get the Weight Watchers magazine? I do. It's currently the only magazine I receive. I haven't tried a recipe from the mag that has not been good or successful. Yesterday I received the latest issue and there was a recipe for Asian salmon patties...SO good, and very simple, baked. Only 5 points.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Hi everyone! I haven't been to visit this thread in a long time but as goal weight is in sight I thought I would take a look at how you are all doing - for some inspiration. We are off travelling in 5 weeks time and I would love to be at goal by then. Just 5 pounds to go but the leader says 7 pounds - I don't mind it would take me down into the next stone so to speak.

I put on 1 pound over the Christmas/New Year period and lost it last week.

With regard to the WW magazine I purchased a copy when I was stateside in September and found it to be a facinating read. Over here in the UK there are 2 versions. The one you buy at meetings is thincker, more pages, than the one from newsagents. I think it also has more coupons for WW products in it. I think I have only purchsed one in the UK. I like to collect the weekly booklets at the meetings. I went to a meeting Stateside and find that the UK weekly booklets have much more info and lots more recipes.

I am doing better this winter than any other. My winter weight is always higher than my summer weight because of more celebrations and no gardening, less outdoor exercise. In summer I move all day. In winter I spend more time sitting doing crafts, watching movies, reading. But by dropping the wheat and associated sugar I've managed to keep my weight gain to 3 pounds instead of about 8.

Thread Information