Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simple Living Book Review

Simple Living Book Review

Hi All,

I'm not sure if this is the right forum--looking for your take on the following books if anyone's read them:

• "Making It: Radical Home Ec for a Postconsumer World"
    • "Radical Homemakers: Reclaiming domesticity from a Consumer Culture"
    • "Homegrown and Handmade: A Practical Guide to More Self-Reliant Living"
    I saw all three advertised in this month's issue of Mother Earth News and they all look good.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    I put the first two on hold at my library, it might take a while because there are others who also have it on hold. The third isn't in my library system but my friend in the next county has it on hold from her system.

Can't wait to read them then post.

I hope Mrs. M reads this, I think this will be right up her alley.

I've read bits of the Radical Homemakers book. It was interesting.

I checked the first one out at the library. It was OK. Mostly it was a how-to book (things to make various things for the house, gardening info, recipes, etc.). It's worth checking out, but I'm don't think I would buy it.

My library did not have Radical Homemakers, so I bought it. I like it quite a bit. The first half is more academic in nature, but the latter half has anecdotes from about 20 people/couples. I found that part interesting. In fact, I am reading it again.

Thanks for the info everyone. I will put two on the list at the library but might buy the third one--I have a gift certificate at Amazon burning a hole in my pocket and her blog looks really good.

I read Radical Homemakers some time ago and found it interesting. But then I find the whole topic of householding and permaculture fascinating. Thought it might be especially interesting for younger men and women who did not have the advantage of knowing grandparents who had already lived that lifestyle decades ago.

I read a great online article by the author of Radical Homemaking - I don't know exactly how this crossed my path... maybe it was from here ???
    Confessions of a Local Supremacist - What I learned about community when I finally welcomed newcomers into mine.
    http://www.yesmagazine.org/blogs/sha...al-supremacist

The gist of it was how she judged her neighbors in a development down the road in upstate NY --- and it ended up she found great neighbors there.

I have not read the books yet.
    I did look through the Amazon reviews and she (Hayes) gets skewered in some of them -- but that's the case with just about everything on Amazon.

I have Making It, and found that I have already read most of the info elsewhere, and the recipes, while serviceable, were not anything new, so I think you're good to go by getting it frim the library. Haven't read the others, but Radical Homemaking is on my "to read" list. Let us know what you think of it, but it seems to have some fans here.

Mrs-M
    This is stupendous!!! I've started writing down book recommendations, because there are so many of them here, that way I'll have them for the future. Thank you for this.

Another book that you may want to add to your list is The Feast Nearby by Robin Mather.

Thread Information