Thread: Xtracycle

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Xtracycle

Has anyone used one of these cargo bikes? If so your thoughts please.
    All revitalized with the early warm spring and back to my biking everywhere possible. I really want to carry more, but a trailer I use is a bit much to pull up the "I can do it" hill I am forced to ride daily. These bikes look very neat. I would have to go a state away to try one out when I searched dealers. So any info would be nice.

I watched the Youtube clips and they sure look like nice bikes. I emailed the closest dealer and got a response of how easy they were to handle. SO I may just take a 5 hours day trip and go test one out. Today my panniers were way over loaded

I had to look this up as I never heard of it before. They sort of look ungainly to me and it would seem easier, cheaper and more flexible to just use a bike trailer (BOB, Yak, Ibex, etc... make great trailers for everything). But in any case I would suggest riding one first before deciding to buy one as they can be expensive. The kit to extend your current bike is lots cheaper than a whole new bike so maybe that's a better way to go. I have a bike trailer (one of the kind to haul 2 small kids in) that I have for my dog. I hauled a dog over 80 lbs and found that be pretty easy once I got up and going - starting off was a bit of a struggle though.

I have a TailWaggin trailer for my dog. I use it for stuff, just got back from recycling with it. The dog got way to big for it. It is medium size. I remember debating getting one large enough for an 85 pound dog. Hubby said If she got that big I would look silly carting her around in it. Well she got that big and now looks silly in the smaller size. I thought the bike would be easier. Yes I would try it out first and look at the kit too.

No Xtracycle yet. The rest of this week I am going no (gas)car, only bike and my *. I have had to be in the car way to much and yesterday was enough. SO whatever I need will have to go in the pannier and the extra large grocery bike bag.
    * GEM electric car I got batteries and plates for the this week. I am excited to hi the road with it again.

I did not get one, but I did order an electric assist unit for my "grocery" bike. I am really excited to get it, suppose to arrive next week. I ride daily and am hoping to roll 3,600 miles this year. But grocery shopping with my weighted down bike and hills is a lot so let everyone know how it works out.

Quote Originally Posted by ctg492 View Post
    I did not get one, but I did order an electric assist unit for my "grocery" bike. I am really excited to get it, suppose to arrive next week. I ride daily and am hoping to roll 3,600 miles this year. But grocery shopping with my weighted down bike and hills is a lot so let everyone know how it works out.
    That sounds like a better idea to me. It seems that you don't need the extra room (and weight) so much as maybe just a "push" every nbow and then when you are riding fully loaded. I've been riding alot with my (now) much smaller dog with a bike trailer (Walmart special!) and it's much easier then toting around the 80 lb dog. Would have loved to have an electric-assist motor on my bike then!

ctg, what brand did you order? I am interested in these too......do they fit any bike?

Hill topper off eBay. Really 15 minutes to install. This brand came with 100% everything needed.many brands do not come with battery, so check to make sure. Any type bike, just relay the message to the seller. I am thrilled with it! It is for assisting your ride on hills. You just push the button and zoom up are up the hill. I noticed no change in pedaling compared to the unit not being on.
    It is on my grocery bike, not my riding for exercise bike. I had one heavy load of groceries on a 20 mile ride, I used the assist on each hill, so nice! I will hop over and get the link.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Electric-bik...#ht_3293wt_922

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    what a great idea CTG. I ride over 1,000 miles a year, but with just two of us and a big garden I rarely have to carry heavy loads. It looks like you have a great solution for the price some people pay for one month of a car payment!

Thread Information