Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vegetarian - How Much Protein Do I Need?

Why do you eat powder instead of real food?

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne View Post
    I'm rather nervous about protein powders; these are used in lab experiments in which animals develop cancer, which might be due to the process by which protein powders are made. In my opinion, it's better to eat whole foods of high quality because then one is assured of getting the co-nutrients as well.
    Can you point me to these studies? DH and I eat a protein shake every day for breakfast. Thanks!

Heydude, may I suggest that you go to My Fitness Pal and enter your data - age,weight etc - desired weight. You will be given some goals for calories and then post what you are eating. It will give you a printout of whether you are over or short on protein etc.
    I am amazed at how much protein is found in ordinary foods like bread, milk, legumes etc. The printout will give you a greater summary for the day including your sodium intake as well. You may never need to worry again.

If you go to Pubmed.gov and type in protein + cancer, you'll get a ton of studies, and reading them will reveal that the protein in the diet is an isolate; there are also studies on the correlations between heat, protein, and various ailments. Campbell's rat studies (China Study) were performed using casein, a common ingredient in power bars and shakes. The heat and chemicals required to isolate protein from its matrix may also be responsible for harm.

I'm doomed. I have whey isolate in my latte every morning. Casein is a component of dairy products, which I also use--although less than I used to. (Truffle cheese for lunch!) Has anyone determined that either of these are associated in any way with tumors in humans?

As far as I can tell, this whole protein/casein/cancer kerfuffle was another of T. Colin Campbell's (purposeful?) misinterpretations of data. Apparently, casein can be a tumor promoter in rats when administered in conjunction with aflatoxin (a known carcinogen). Since protein is known to support cell growth, that isn't surprising, and indeed vegetable proteins could be used in the same way. Back to sucking up my latte...

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne View Post
    If you go to Pubmed.gov and type in protein + cancer, you'll get a ton of studies, and reading them will reveal that the protein in the diet is an isolate; there are also studies on the correlations between heat, protein, and various ailments. Campbell's rat studies (China Study) were performed using casein, a common ingredient in power bars and shakes. The heat and chemicals required to isolate protein from its matrix may also be responsible for harm.
    There are many protein powders that do not have the products you mentioned and are mostly derived from rice, soy, whey and eggs. I also have a smoothie with protein powder daily as I need that extra protein (I'm mostly vegan) to build muscle mass/replenishment for competitive sports. I believe Humbolt gurl is also an athlete and has high protein needs that are hard to get in a regular food-only based vegetarian or vegan diet without having to consume alot of extra calories.

Heydude,

Here's a blog post about protein in a vegetarian diet, and if you'll scroll down to the bottom of the page, there's a link to a chart of complimentary proteins:

http://www.savvyvegetarian.com/artic...n-veg-diet.php

P.S. I sent a PM (Notifications) asking about your experience with ART. No rush, but I'd appreciate hearing from you.

That is a great site, Jemina.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartana View Post
    There are many protein powders that do not have the products you mentioned and are mostly derived from rice, soy, whey and eggs. I also have a smoothie with protein powder daily as I need that extra protein (I'm mostly vegan) to build muscle mass/replenishment for competitive sports. I believe Humbolt gurl is also an athlete and has high protein needs that are hard to get in a regular food-only based vegetarian or vegan diet without having to consume alot of extra calories.
    Me, an athlete? Well, I try. But yeah, like Spartana I'm mostly vegan and the protein shakes help me tremendously after a workout without my body wanting to chow down on a half-dozen eggs.

The shake I drink has whey protein concentrate as well as "calcium caseinate"....is this the same thing as casein?

Thread Information